Computer Software

No, just a PITA
Sort-of, but sometimes dealing with such things is simply 'all part of the job'. I receive data in all sorts of messy formats and often have to do quite a lot of 'cleaning'/re-formatting/whatever before it is in any way usable.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily - the rubbish I've encountered has been a formatting one, where somehow each field has ended up with two double quotes around it
""<field1>"",""<field2>"",""<field3>"", and Excel doesn't strip them out.
In the interests of my curiosity/education, I've just had a quick look and it seems pretty easy to sort that out within Excel. If you open such a file with Excel what you get is three columns containing: <field1>"" <field2>"" <field3>"" .... it's then just a matter of making a copy of the entire worksheet (maybe onto a different sheet) using =SUBSTITUTE(<start>, """", "") in order to strip out all the pairs of quote marks. ... where <start> is top left-hand cell of imported worksheet and that formula is 'filled', horizontally and vertically, to create a block of cells of the same shape/size of the imported file. It only really takes a few seconds.

Alternatively, it only takes me half a dozen or so lines of code, in a variety of languages, to strip out the quotes from the .CSV file, either completely or replacing them with non-doubled quotes, before opening in Excel.

Kind Regards, John

I seem to remember using a program called visual basic. It was some time ago when I used it, but from memory my problem was data auto produced with a PAT tester and the program that came with the PAT tester from Robin.

I had a problem where users were forgetting to enter their code before starting and so I had wrong name against the test results. The Robin software would not allow me to change the name but VB would.

This however was a duel edged sword as is also resulted in questions as to if there was a problem could you actually say with certainty who had done the testing? As a result the compact results were printed and signed.

I also used Excel and Access although the latter caused me some problems. I remember writing it and testing and it all worked well then second time I tried it failed seems I had missed the bit which deletes old data before updating.

I think Excel and Access are based on VBA where the open office equivalent is based on Java.

Java I have never learnt but Java Script I do find handy because although my old PDA had excel for free the new one it came at a cost and using Java Script means it works with most modern browsers.

However it is a catch 22 unless you have the time you can't write the program and until you have the programs written you don't have the time.

Because Arduino uses Java Script I personally now prefer it to VB and Excel as it is a one language fits all. To me main thing is to highlight errors before I install so easy once written to enter all the know figures and see the likely ELI and volt drop.

I remember before the days of the PDA installing a socket for a shrink wrap machine only to find after the volt drop was too great and the machine would not work successfully from that socket until I swapped from 4mm² to 10mm² cable. Lucky in-house so could cover up the error.

But using the tools to me was a progression I did not one day say to myself I am going to use Java Script. I used it to get around a small problem. Then I used knowledge gained to add to for next problem. Even now I have to look at an old page to remind myself how I did something.

I remember back in college being asked if I could use word to which I answered yes. I was told I needed to show how to use document tracking, mail merge and writing a macro and I was stumped. After I did learn how to use word including using VBA much of which I have now forgotten. But it's all very well for some one with resent college training to advocate using Excel but many people of my age we brought up with the slide rule and Excel is really beyond their ken.

Some software does lack the ability to correct errors. I am sure the writer did it intentional for security but that does not help when you need to correct errors. We all make errors if just entering wrong date but to use things like document tracking to show it's a correction is not easy. To cross out something in a book correct it and sign the correction is much easier.

Having to print out all the PAT testing results so we had a signature was a pain and storing the box of papers with a note on box may be destroyed after 2019 is also a lot of space.

When my son stopped being a sole trader and moved from house to narrow boat he got rid of all paper records simply not the room to store. His idea was he could always reprint. However when asked 4 years latter for a copy of a PIR he found the DVD was corrupt and useless. I know hard drives are better than DVD's but often they are all or nothing. When we use a book it lasts for years. I have read my dad's diaries when he was aboard ship in second world war. I still have Sinclair microdrive tapes with all my log books but no way to read them. Same with cassette tapes and even floppy discs I can only read some those formatted for Amiga I can't read. As to 3" floppy discs from my +3 not a hope. Yet we can still read the dead sea scrolls.

One of the attractions of using DNA as a digital storage medium is that there will "always"¹ be a way to read it.

¹ Ignoring the possibility of apocalyptic events.

Sponsored Links
One of the attractions of using DNA as a digital storage medium is that there will "always"¹ be a way to read it.... ¹ Ignoring the possibility of apocalyptic events.
There will theoretically always be a way of reading data from any digital (or even analogue) storage medium, if one puts one's mind/effort to it - but that obviously relies on the data not having been destroyed or corrupted (and DNA is not immune from that).

Kind Regards, John

The point I was making before wan't the ease of accessing CSV or any other data.

If an application you are using to create invoices, quotes, enter hours worked and other accounting facilities for your business suddenly disappears, a load of CSV files won't be much help in doing any of those things.

If it's an application you can quickly reinstall on a computer, then not a problem. Even if the machine itself was destroyed, that can be replaced.

An online equivalent which one day isn't there can't be replaced quickly or easily, or even ever.
You are then left with your data and nothing to use it with.
It is probable that it could be imported into some other application and used there, but this will take significant time and effort, during which your business is effectively closed.

There will theoretically always be a way of reading data from any digital (or even analogue) storage medium, if one puts one's mind/effort to it
Indeed, but the thinking is that there will "always" be extant ways to read DNA, no putting of minds or effort needed to build something which can read CTOS formatted 8" floppies, for example.

but that obviously relies on the data not having been destroyed or corrupted (and DNA is not immune from that).
It's not, but it's pretty robust, is known have a life measured in millennia, and is dense.

An online equivalent which one day isn't there can't be replaced quickly or easily, or even ever.
You are then left with your data and nothing to use it with.
It is probable that it could be imported into some other application and used there, but this will take significant time and effort, during which your business is effectively closed.
Or if you've been foolish enough to use a cloud service provided by a major database and business applications provider, you find that you don't actually own and cannot have your data.

Or if you've stored it somewhere which is also stores copyright-infringed material, you find that you have no access to it because a court or law enforcement agency has shut down the entire operation.

The point I was making before wan't the ease of accessing CSV or any other data. ... If an application you are using to create invoices, quotes, enter hours worked and other accounting facilities for your business suddenly disappears, a load of CSV files won't be much help in doing any of those things. If it's an application you can quickly reinstall on a computer, then not a problem. Even if the machine itself was destroyed, that can be replaced.
I take your point and, for that very reason, I would personally never use a software application which didn't exist on my computer, and could not be re-installed onto a (same or a different) computer. Similarly, I would want data stored locally, ideally in a format I understood, even if remotely backed up.

As you go on to say, it may well be possible to import the CSV (or other generic) into a different application, but that would certainly involve appreciable time/effort.

With few exceptions, I see no merit (other, perhaps, than cost) in using 'remote software' when a local alternative is feasible.

Kind Regards, John

There will theoretically always be a way of reading data from any digital (or even analogue) storage medium, if one puts one's mind/effort to it
Indeed, but the thinking is that there will "always" be extant ways to read DNA, no putting of minds or effort needed to build something which can read CTOS formatted 8" floppies, for example.
Probably true, although there are probably simpler and more efficient methods of chemical storage which could be used. However, it will probably be a very long time before the technology develops to the stage of it being remotely viable as a means of data storage. Most 'DNA testing' we hear about is looking at tiny tiny segments of DNA - and even that takes hours or days to 'read' a small amount of data. AFAIAA, the human genome project took about 13 years to 'read' approximately 3.3 billion base pairs - if my sums are correct, that is a 'data transfer rate' of around 8 bits per second - so, as yet, hardly up to our requirements, even as regards 'reading'. As for 'writing' to DNA, that is much more in its infancy, and is probably much slower.

Kind Regards, John

How far back do we need to keep records? The Mary Wherry case kitchen fitted 1999 and death in 2004 so 5 years after the kitchen fitters made their error before anyone knew the error had been made.

I would say after 10 years then it's down to owner who should have had the installation inspected and tested but errors are still errors and if I was killed today due to a fault with the fitting of a gas fire and leaks on the flue even if it was fitted 25 years ago I would think the builder would still be responsible.

I say that as my fire was removed two years ago simply to fit new carpets and it was found the flue plate did not seal on the flue brick so it was over 25 years before the fault was found.

The Emma Shaw case was due to a water leak and it could also have gone unnoticed for 20 years only an accident or an EICR would find the fault.

Had it taken 9 years not just 2 years to find the fault then what would have been the result? It would seem the results were transferred from paper to computer and "The type written version had differences to Tomkins hand written version." OK recalling what happened 2 years ago maybe but 9 years ago would the unqualified tester remember what had gone on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back