Computer tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A friend gave me his computer to re-install new OS as the old was corrupt but when I went to plug the power cable in it shorted out my RCD that protects my ring sockets. I reset the RCD, reduced the load on all the sockets and tried a different computer power cable but the same again, with the same buzzing noise coming from the computer power supply. I switched it off (quickly!) at the wall before it tripped the RCD again and checked the power cables used and they both work fine on other machines, so obviously the fault lies in the computer. I know not to tinker with computer power supplies but rather replace them instead, but any other thoughts on what else it could be would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

thomsop said:
Hi, it's in a Philips LS 2100 Freeline computer, PSU currently installed is an Enhance Electronics Co. Ltd product (Taiwan), a 240W psu with over power/voltage & short circ. protection, model ENP-2224B.

May not get the chance to test as you suggested, he would like it back tomorrow to take into a computer shop to test, will try and delay one more day as I'm currently working dayshifts but could have a proper look on wednesday.

Thanks for the reply, will keep you posted. Not been able to find a replacement yet from a uk supplier if this one is proven to be faulty. Don't understand why if there's over protection for power/voltage & short circ. it would still make the loud buzzing/elect. noise, come to think of there was a slight burning smell too.

+++++++++++++
Moderator's note:
You should have used the "reply" button to add this to your original post.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
A make/model would be handy.

It sounds like the PSU is tripping. This could be a fault with the PSU itself or with an attached device.

You'll need a method of testing the PSU or simply try a spare if you have one.

Try removing power to peripheral devices, leaving only the motherboard powered. Does it still trip?

Sponsored Links
Back