COMSUMER NOT WORKING?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I HAVE ONE comsumer UNIT IN THE HOUSE AND ONE IN THE GARAGE
BUT IF I GET A PROBLEM IN THE GARAGE IT TRIPS THE HOUSE ONE AND NOT THE GARAGE TRIPS MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
What exactly is tripping? Is it an MCB or an RCD (an RCD has a little test button)?
Can you post photos of both of the consumer units?

PS - Typing in capital letters is considered shouting.

IF THERE IS NO DISCRIMINATION (I.E. BOTH RCDS ARE RATED AT 30MA) AND THERE IS INDEED AN RCD IN THE GARAGE CU, THE ONE AT THE HOUSE END IS ALWAYS LIKELY TO TRIP FIRST DUE TO PRE-EXISTING EARTH LEAKAGE ON OTHER CIRCUITS PROTECTED BY THAT RCD.

IF AN RCD IS NECESSARY AT THE HOUSE FOR THE CABLE RUN TO THE GARAGE TO BE COMPLIANT, IT WOULD BE BETTER ON AN RCBO AT THE HOUSE AND THE RCD IN THE GARAGE REMOVED. IF THE CABLE RUN IS IN SWA OR DOES NOT OTHERWISE REQUIRE RCD PROTECTION, IT WOULD BE BETTER TO HAVE RCD PROTECTION AT THE GARAGE CU, AND SUPPLY FROM A NON-RCD WAY IN THE HOUSE CU.

THIS ALL ASSUMES YOU ARE NOT ON A TT SUPPLY, OF COURSE.

Sponsored Links
<pictures electronics uk shouting all that lot down donkeydicks earhole>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back