concerned about glass in fanlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have literally just moved into house but there are a few jobs which need doing. one of the smaller ones are the fanlights (if thats what they are called) above the upstairs bedrooms, basically its a piece of glasss with an inch gap above all the doors. I am concerned as the glass doesnt appear to be safety glass (built in 1975) and am worried if door gets slammed it may jagedly shatter. dont really know what to do with them long term? safety film? board over? putting stained glass in? any pointers would be useful. thanks

Sponsored Links
The glass is most unlikely to shatter, but I don't fully understand the inch gap thing......any chance of a photo?
Is the glass there to let ambient light in, or could it be disposed of and replaced with plywood or similar?
John :)

They sound like “borrowed lights” very common over rooms to allow light into an internal landing or hallway.

The air gap is worrying apart from weakening the glass, ( I have never known one to shatter when fully supported all round) it is also a fire risk allowing smoke to spread rapidly through the house despite the doors being closed.

Lots of the council houses used to have wired glass or small panes to improve strength but whether that was to allow for abuse from residents or simply to make them more fire resistant I don’t know.

However sometimes gaps were left for ventilation of fuel burning appliances (gas oil etc) or to allow return of air from warm air heating, or heat recovery systems.
When required the vents from room to room were supposed to be at low level to prevent smoke movement, but often the rules were ignored and gaps left at high level because of ignorance or just plain laziness!

It would certainly be wise to check with your heating engineer before changing anything!

As you say there are safety films that can be applied to existing glass to make it safe, just do a Google search plenty out there.

Sponsored Links
How bizarre! No way would a glass edge like that be left by a professional - I would assume that was done by someone who couldn't use a rule correctly :p Maybe originally the panels were timber?
What do you want to do.....do you want the light afforded - in which case the proper glass is easily supplied and fitted - or are you going to remove the glass and replace with ply or similar?
It looks like the glass beads are on the other side of your pic.
John :)

My reference to council houses was to point out the fact that borrowed lights were often more substantial than yours are.

It's very strange that it seems from your post that all the glasses are short, not a mistake you make three times.

There might be a reason they were cut like that, possibly for ventilation of a heating system. For example gas fired warm air heating was a popular system well into the 70's.

Regards,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back