Concerns over plumbing when siting appliances outside-ish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large space under the stairs in a small extension to my house. It is only accessible from outside via shed type doors, but is of brick cavity wall construction and joined to one side wall of the existing building.

I would like to re-site my washing machine, tumble dryer and maybe even boiler in here to free up room in the kitchen. My main concern is around problems with cold and damp with regards to the plumbing and electrics.

Are there any regulations I should be aware of that may prevent me from doing this as I will need to run hot and cold water to the washing machine, waste from the washing machine and power supplies to both the washing machine and tumble dryer.

The boiler move is less important - and I would get corgi qualified person to do the work - but would be curious to hear any thoughts on the feasibility of this as well.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is there, it will be unlikely to be cold and damp. There are no more regulations than if you install in a house as far as I know.

I know someone who has a gas boiler in an ex-outdoor toilet outhouse. This is apparently quite common with houses of that age and design.

So, a cupboard that is part of the main building of your house should be OK.

You need to post the electrics issue on the electrics forum. How weatherproof is this cupboard?

Thanks for the replies...

The cupboard is virtually weatherproof - doors do not have proper frame therefore there may be some ingress of water on the floor (which is at outside ground level)

Sponsored Links
I would think that could be overcome by building a platform a few inches above the ground level to put the machines on.

Whilst that would cover you against everything short of flooding (which normal houses don't anyway!) I am not sure what the regs would have to say about it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back