concrete block stable wall leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Im new on here and really hope someone can help me. We live on top of a valley and when it is raining hard, one side of my stables made of just concrete blocks, is very damp in the morning and covered in the salt. They are very damp and i really dont know what to do to make them keep dry. I am having to leave my 2 horses outside in the field all winter as i feel that they are better off outside then in a damp stable. They sit on a concrete slab and we have an underground pipe that takes any water from round the back to the drain and that is constantly trickling its mainly this wall that holds the water after rain. Also in the morning, the floor will be damp, not soaking just damp and mu husband says it is driving rain. Firstly, would a gutter around the front help to sop the driving rain a bit and secondly, if we had a wood panel on that concrete wall with a gap between the wood and the wall, would this stop the water getting through? I have maisanary painted this wall with black plastic paint but its not helping at all. Is there any waterproofs ut there that stop any dampness getting through concrete blocks in the first place? some miricle product maybe???? Please help.

Sponsored Links
if it really is penetrating from driving rain, then cladding, with an air gap top and bottom, will stop it. Cladding is quite thin and will not stand up to being kicked or gnawed, and don't put hooks in it for haynets or halter loops as it will pull off.

before going to the expense of cladding, you could try hanging a tarpaulin or something against the wall to see if it makes a difference.

however it might be condensation, or the wall attracting moisture from the air due to hydroscopic salts from horses' urine soaked into the blocks. It might have been built with thermalite or similar lightweight foamed blocks, which are very absorbent.

if water is running off the roof, guttering will help.

Loose boxes should be very well ventilated, so even if the walls are damp, they will keep the rain and wind off.

Thank you so much for your advice. I think i will have that wall cladded. Thank you for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back