concrete blocklaying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im having a retaining wall built in blocks which i will have rendered later but can you tell me how much it will cost a block to lay or per metre.. cheers..

Sponsored Links
not to be awkward but.... how long is a piece of string?

without knowing the specifics it's impossible to even guess..

are you doing it DIY?
where are you buying the blocks from?
are you mixing the foundation yourself or getting a truck delivery?
what type of blocks?
if you're getting someone in, where do you live?

and many more questions need to be answered..

just get a few builders in to quote and then go to a few builders merchants / DIY sheds and price it up...

i dont no how long is a piece of string :LOL: im in south west , foundation is down just need to know average labour cost to lay blocks, ive been told £ 1.00 a block , seems expensive what do you think? cheers.

Is that £1 a block with a mile walk from the road where the gear has been dropped or right next to it?

Is it £1 per block on a mud strewn side of a hill or next to a nice flat hard standing?

Is it £1 per block for 10N dense 9" blocks or 3.5N lightweight 4" ones?

Is it £1 per block bending down all day or working at a nice height?

Is it £1 per block for a wall 2 blocks high and 40 blocks long or 40 blocks high and 2 blocks long?

Does the £1 per block include piers and returns or just the straight bits?

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
Is that £1 a block with a mile walk from the road where the gear has been dropped or right next to it?

Is it £1 per block on a mud strewn side of a hill or next to a nice flat hard standing?

Is it £1 per block for 10N dense 9" blocks or 3.5N lightweight 4" ones?

Is it £1 per block bending down all day or working at a nice height?

Is it £1 per block for a wall 2 blocks high and 40 blocks long or 40 blocks high and 2 blocks long?

Does the £1 per block include piers and returns or just the straight bits?
Yes, can you now help? :p

i think hes trying to make the point that there isnt much info to go on, and that most jobs are priced individually. If youre not sure get a couple of different quotes.

Exactly.

There should be a forum rule or something about asking for quotes. :rolleyes:

The ONLY way to know is to get several local quotes.

Its no good Jim from John O'Groats answering your post and telling you that he paid £2 per block and so you must be getting a bargain. Or Dave from Great Yarmouth telling you that his builder charged him 50p a block, and rendered his house for free too.

Thanks Thermo! And i hope i can be as much help to you WOODY as you have been to me:!: :!: :!:

Moderator 4

Welcome to the forum. This forum runs on the goodwill of posters who provide information in their own free time and free of charge. Many are tradesmen who are busy enough with their own work, but still find time to help those who post on the forum asking for help.

It is not easy for people who are spread across the country to offer pricing advice in relation to quotes etc, which is why it is always suggested that quotes from reputable local tradesmen are always sought and compared to determine a fair price for an individual project.

The information you have given is scant and the replies have pointed this out. Some tongue in cheek and some politely. Simply because you have received answers/advice that you do not like does not mean it is acceptable to be abusive in return. Please make yourself aware of the rules and etiqutte of this forum.

Listen, you may not like it, but I have shown you why asking for quotes on a forum is a waste of time - read the posts again without feeling offended.

Pick up the phone, or tour around and ask some local builders.

In fact, I would not charge you per block, but would want to cover my day. Its no good me coming to lay 60 blocks with all the messing around and then find that my day has gone, I can't get to another job and I have earned a measily £60 or even split that with a hoddy.

Expect to pay a days money or two, and ask what the day rate is not what the price is per block

im sorry if i offend anybody , but it was just some pricing advise i was asking for i dont know why the word quote keeps coming up as i did not ask for one, i would appreciate it that i got no advise at all rather than unhelpful advise from people with nothing better to do than tell tells to the Moderator :cry:

harryh1, all you had to say was how tall, how wide, how long and in what region of the country you were, you may as well have asked How much is a new car? and not said what car you’re referring to. I’m sure no one told the moderators on you, they see everything, that’s what they do. You should try some of the other forums out there; this is one of the most tame I’ve ever been on. :rolleyes:

forum rule 9 says not to ask for quotes or ballpark figures as without seing the job and all the obstacles etc then it's impossible to guess..

to be more helpfull the going rate in the south west is £10 a square metre or £100 aday for a blocklayer by him self or £165 if he's got a labourer with him! this is labour only though! that's what me and my dad charge and we've lived and worked in torbay devon all our lives! and the same costs apply for rendering! and material wise,it's roughly £1 ablock £5 for abag of cement and £40 for a ton of sand! peace v

that's £10 a square metre for 4 inch block work £20 for 9inch and so forth!
and remember don't count the days , make the days count!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back