Concrete floor in garage higher or lower than damp proof bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inside my garage has old cracked concrete floor, to be dug up and replaced with new concrete on top of damp proof membrane sheet.

Currently the level of the old concrete is about 4 inches below the damp proof bricks which are visible inside the garage and don't look nice. Is it okay for new concrete floor to come up to a level above the damp proof bricks? Where would membrane go to up the side?

Generally, in a new garage is the floor above the damp course which presumably means it's above the level of the drive outside? So do you have a ramp up into the garage (which I currently haven't got because old floor is at outside ground-level).

Sponsored Links
If connected to the house via a door, then you need at least a 100mm step or the floor 100mm lower than the door threshold.

Otherwise you can have the floor level with the wall DPC and tuck the membrane in to the DPC or at least just cut off level with it. It the walls are just half brick thick then it don't matter, as the walls will get damp internally regardless.

Thanks woody. Walls are 9 inch thick and dry above DPC. Garage not connected to house.
If I put new concrete at same level as old i.e. at a level above which shows one course of damp proof bricks, and the membrane cut off at level of concrete, as far as I can see a little of the top edge of the membrane would be visible and above it would be one course of damp proof bricks visible. Is there any way of hiding edge of membrane?

Sponsored Links
Cut the membrane just slightly below the surface and then run some mastic around or some cement grout to fill the joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back