Concrete footings for brick raised bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally bit the bullet, and am going to sort out the garden this spring. I'm building a raised bed out the back. I've never done anything like this before and would really appreciate some expert advice.

The first 10 inches or so of this will have decking fixed into it, and wont be seen and I figured that concrete is cheaper than brick, so have designed quite hefty concrete footings. 3 or 4 courses of reclaimed brick will go on top.

So, I've placed the shuttering (Don't worry - I know I need more pegs on the outer perimeter)

DSCF0147_1.JPG

DSCF0148_1.JPG

DSCF0149_1.JPG

Questions:

1. I'm planning on using a 1:5 mix of portland cement/ballast - is this OK?
2. I'm not bothered if the concrete is damp or not - do I need a plasticiser?
3. I've tampered down the soil, but do I need a base level of gravel or hardcore tampered into the soil for the concrete to key into?
4. I didn't think I'd need any rebar for such a modest project - do you concur?
5. I've read that people sometimes cover wet concrete with plastic to cure slowly - was thinking of using cling film, is this a silly idea?

I've figured out that this will come to 0.5 cubic meters, or about 1 ton of aggregate - amazing how much material is needed for such a modest project! I have strike release oil to paint onto the shuttering before filling. The brick courses will be laid end on to make the curve easier, with the capping course on their sides. I have about 200 bricks but will obviously need considerably more.

Thanks in advance for your interest

Aaron

Sponsored Links
1:6 is the normal mix

no you dont need a plasticiser

no you dont need any hardcore it can rest on the earth

no you dont need rebar

you dont need to cover it with anything

just make sure you ram it in well as you pour it in to get it against the shuttering well and give a better finish

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back