Concrete lintel in loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered if anyone had come across this before, I have a 1960 Wimpey built house. It is pretty solidly built, although the quality isn't all that good, bricklayers etc presumably being paid piece-rate at the time. One thing I just can't understand is that I have a concrete lintel sitting at ceiling joist level in the roof space. One end is resting on a corner of a boiler chimney and the other is resting on an interior brick wall.

I just want to know why?! Just wondered if anyone had come across this before. At the end which is resting on an interior wall there is a support from the top of the lintel to the bottom of the purlin, but as that could have been run to the top of the interior wall I can't see that would have been sufficient reason to install the lintel. At 220cmx11cmx26cm it presumably would have had to have been craned in before the roof went on. It also has structural implications for us as we would like to remove the lower storey of the wall which one end rests on, so we have to consider the weight of the lintel as we do this.

Thanks to anyone who can throw some light on this.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it or photo would help, sounds like it is supporting the purlin for the roof ( a bit awkward without a picture).

A compentent building contractor should be able to tell you, but it sounds to me that part of the chimmny might be supported on it, would have to see it to give you a more postive answer

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back