Concrete mixes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to lay a concrete base for an Aga range which weighs approximately 408kg. What mix of ingredients would be required eg. the ratio of cement, sand etc ?, and how deep ?.

Sponsored Links
What is the base going on top off? a concrete floor, a timber floor, natural soil?? and how big is the unit/base on plan?

The base of the Aga is 987mm x 680mm. The floor is concrete of around 3 inches thick but I don't know how strong.

Suspended floor (if known)? also what kind of room is it in (ie commercial plant room, domestic kitchen, hallway in block of flats?

Sponsored Links
A ground floor domestic kitchen. The concrete floor is around 3 inches thick, below this there seems to be a couple of inches of polystyrene and then some reasonably solid hardcore.

it sounds to me as though you have a regular insulated floor slab.
this ought to be minimum 100mm (4 inches) thick.
this may seem stupid , but how do you know its only 3 inches thick.
have you excavated the area upon which the aga is sitting?

I had to dig into it a few days ago on another project to do with plumbing, but since you have asked I have now measured the depth and the concrete is is 4 inches deep.The area where the Aga will sit already had a base for an Aga but the previous owners of the property had the base at 6 inches which is to high. I have had to kango the based down to floor level and now need to relay the base, its just the strength of concrete that concerns me.

a 100mm cured concrete slab, intact, would easily support the weight of an aga.
who has told you to build a separate base?
does the aga need to sit on an elevated base?

Yes the Aga needs to go on a base in order to bring it up to worktop height. Its just the mix of the concrete I am not sure of. I am assuming the concrete would have to be a strong mix.

six parts ballast (sand and gravel mixed) to one part cement, mixed together with water.
allow it to cure properly. over time it will be as hard as bell metal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back