Concrete over lead pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on the best way to concrete a hollow metal gate post 100mm square by 1.8m long over an existing main water supply to a house built in 1925.Dug down 600 mm to find the pipe which will probably be lead.The pipe has a layer of slate over the top of it but my concern is the weight of the concrete a metal post could damage this pipe.

Sponsored Links
I would expose the area around it very carefully and put some split 50mm ducting around it. Then pour your concrete around it making sure the concrete can't go in the ends (squirty foam?) and the pipe is roughly in the middle of the duct.

Your right weight may be a problem in this situation. The new regs (2013) limit to 10 microgrammes/litre any lead in the supply, you really should have this tested and if the lead has to be replaced problem solved, just route the supply around the post area. Bit mercenary on my part to point this out, I know, but if that's the situation make the most of it...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
You dont need to have any water or piping tested.

If lead is supplying the mains water, or is any part of the water installation in the house, then it should be removed, and replaced with either plastic or copper.
Same goes for galvanised pipe.

Your best bet would be to at least replace the lead water supply from the external stop-cock to the internal shut-off.
Sod's law says the lead supply will leak immediately your post is installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back