Concrete removal through jackhammering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our yard used to be used for parking our car but fell out of use and the doors were ultimately replaced with a wall and a small gate as part of a refurbishment. It is hoped that the yard can be converted into something approximating a garden with pebbles and some paving and/or decking. The present obstacle to progress is the uneven concrete which precludes simple installation of decking or paving slabs. Thus, we have come to the conclusion that it may be necessary to remove the current concrete using a hired electric breaker.

I have uploaded a brief video of the yard to the rear of Little Poxy Manor, the home of my family for generations...

My concerns:

a) would a breaker be liable to damage the structure of the house or walls in proximity to the targeted-concrete (can I jackhammer all the way up to the wall)?

b) is there a risk that the drainage infrastructure could be compromised by penetration and how could this risk be assessed?

c) would it be necessary to lay down fresh concrete or will we instead uncover soil, atop of which may be laid the paving slabs, gravel and/or foundations for decking?

Sponsored Links
a) Don't go too nuts tight against the wall but don't worry too much as they are not connected to eachother and so will naturally break where you want it too. Be careful not to break off the base of the render though. A few judicious thumps of the lump hammer and a bolster would help here.

b) your are right to be cautious but again don't be overly hesitant as the drainage should be at least a few inches below the bottom of the concrete.
Take a moment to work out where the pipework may be (by opening any manholes and seeing where the pipes head off to and how deep they look. Then just go gently around those areas until you have located it and are happy its deep enough.

c) you wish it'll be soil! I would bet you will find all manor of crap down there.
You can do whatever you wish to replace it or not but no real need to put more concrete down if your decking or paving. (more concrete and your successor will be on here in 30 years asking the same question)

a:- no
b:- no, but be carful around any gullies etc as these pipes can be bear to the surface
c:- no

Sponsored Links
No obvious reason why you cant deck over it, provided the deck wouldnt come up higher than your thresholds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back