Concrete run for lawnmower

R

roberta1000

I've got a single brick wall with piers on the inside all round my house. For quite a distance (40m-50m) there's lawn laid right up to it and it's a right pain to mow or strim. I'm planning to lay a narrow strip of concrete all round coming a couple of inches out past the piers so that I can run the mower round easily. I don't want to just clear a border because of the work in keeping it weeded and edged.

Will it be good enough to just take 3 inches or so of turf/soil out, shutter it and fill with concrete or will I need to take it deeper (how deep?) and put in some Type 1? It won't take much traffic and I don't want to overdo things unneccessarily plus the aggro of working round the wall's footings. (Clay ground by the way)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can get a concrete additive from Wickes that you add to the mix that stops it cracking. 4 inches would be better but with the additive I reckon 3 would be OK for what you want.

4 inches should do it. make sure you leave expansion joints in the concrete and dont just do it all as one big run, otherwise it will lead to cracking

Sponsored Links
OK thanks - 4" it is. Hadn't considered expansion joints. The run will only be about 7" wide or so - what spacing between gaps do you think and what width?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back