Concreting dilemma... muddy field, 44ton truck... is there another way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to lay a slab roughly 10m by 10metres (divided into about 4 strips to avoid cracking). The concrete lorrys are 44tons in weight when fully loaded. We were going to drop in 6cubic metes at a time, let one slab go off then do the next over the course of the next 2 or 3 weeks. The problem is it has rained and i dont want this lorry to get stuck in the field. The chutes they have are a max of 5metres. Does anyone know any companys that can pump it via a hose or tube that might be 30metres or so in length? Im sure ive seen it done on tv.

The alternative is to do it all by hand but my back isnt what it used to be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No problem for a pump.
Ask any concrete pump company, or ask the concrete company supplying the concrete.

Hiring a pump for a few hours a day over several days could get expensive, they've either got to leave it set up on site, or set up and dismantle each day. I would look at doing half one day, the other half the next as a minimum, or alternatively, how about hiring a dumper to transport the concrete from mixer to where required?

BTW you talk as if you are only going to pour one slab at a time. You can pour alternate slabs on different days, meaning you only need two days to do the lot.

Pumped is fantastic. I have an idea Nige put up a video not long ago.

Edit
or was it @noseall ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. the alternate idea is good. We did think about a tipper but then I got sidetracked thinking about these pumps. I think the best is to do 2 seperate days of tipper hire and get 2 deliveries of concrete. The concrete companies did say they need to know if its going to be pumped as they add more cement to the mixture which bumps up the price. The tipper seems the best idea however the cement lorry only allow 30mins on site and after that they start charging by the minute. I have roughly 12 cubic metres to do in total so shall do 6 one day and 6 another. Im hoping I can do one tippers worth in under 5 mins based on the tipper holding 1 cubic metre of concrete so to avoid the extra charge after 30mins.

The pump includes (usually) two workers. They practically do the job for you.
Here's a few photos of noseall's
I was sat on the digger freezing all morning and then had to stand and watch whilst 7m³ was pumped into our trenches in about 35 mins.

Ho hum! :p

Last edited:
I know sod all about concrete but if you can pump half and half over two days can't you insert divisions made of say, polystyrene and pump all four, then fill in the much smaller gaps by hand?
Thereby compressing the expensive bit into one day?

I have divided up the slabs using gravel board as shuttering. I heard its a good thing to divide the slab so they can flex a little under heavy load. I need to wait for at least 2 of the 4 slabs to set before I do the other 2 as I need to tread on them in order to do the levelling off. I'll probably leave a 3 or 4 day gap between each load. Can anyone recommend any pump companies in oxfordshire/buckinghamshire? I may give them a call and just compare the tipper solution vs the pump solution.

Cheers

Ian Pinney from Wantage. Pinneys concrete pumping. 01235 833665
Tuckwells or Smiths for concrete. I wouldn't go worrying too much about the half hour cut-off that's really just for timewasters who when the mixer turns up have an old lady with one barrow to unload. Anyway if you have it pumped you won't have to worry about that, it will all be over before you know it

nuzuki, Hi

Suggest that you install several Dowel bars between slabs, it was normal to use a 20 mm mild steel bar about a meter long, pour one panel, drill and tap in the Dowel to half the Dowel length why? it assists [does not prevent] the slabs rising above each other.

other trick is to make "keys" by fitting to the shuttering between the slabs a block of timber on the about to be poured side, the block of timber should be champhered on all edges, steeply, on removing the edge shuttering remove [violently] the timber keys, why? again as above it stops or assists in preventing the individual slabs riding up and forming a lip between the different panels.

As for how to get the Concrete in? suggest you have a look at "Sidewinder Concrete pumps" these are static Concrete pumps, not lorry mounted? just a thought

And finally?? if you do go with two bays of Concrete, please carefully consider the need to finish of the top surface of the first pour before the next Concrete load rolls over the horizon, then same problem you need to finish that one off as well before you go to the Pub [by then you will need that]

As an aside what finish are you proposing? smooth? or just a so called "tamped" finish?

Ken.

The concrete lorrys are 44tons in weight when fully loaded.
44 tons is the gross weight of a 6 wheeler artic unit hooked into a tri-axle trailer. I've never seen one as a concrete jaeger, they're usually 6 wheel rigids (gross weight 24 tons), or 8 wheel rigids (gross weight 30 tons).

Why not try to sort access out? Unless you are just having a slab with no other building work then you'll need other trucks in.
Alternatively have a tractor ready to assist in moving the concrete lorry.

Have the wagon mix it on site, as these come with a troop of blokes on below minimum wage who will barrow the stuff to John O'Groats with a smile.

44 tons is the gross weight of a 6 wheeler artic unit hooked into a tri-axle trailer. I've never seen one as a concrete jaeger, they're usually 6 wheel rigids (gross weight 24 tons), or 8 wheel rigids (gross weight 30 tons).

The 'Volumetric' type mixers that carry the dry ingredients (and water), then mix to required recipe on site, I believe are classed as a 'Mobile batching plant' so are somewhat of a grey area, exempt from some rules and can run heavier than a standard 4 axle rigid vehicle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back