Concreting over copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some copper pipes, for the heating system, that need to be covered over. The rest of the floor is concrete so I was going to back-fill with more concrete (over 2" deep and 4" wide over a 2m run.

Will the cement damage the pipework? Should I protect them with something?

Sponsored Links
James

Not a good idea to have copper pipes in concrete/screed. Chemicals in the cement could corrode the copper, also it will not allow for any movement rom expansion/contraction etc, etc.
Ideally you would have them in a duct of some kind, preferably with a removable cover but you could run them through a piece of plastic waste pipe as a conduit. If the pipework has not already been fitted I would suggest plastic pipe, continuous run with no joints. I believe there is also plastic coated copper pipework available that may be suitable. If they are existing or you cant change for any reason then wrap them in something called Denso tape, its like a hessian sacking with some kind of bitumous coating. Try and get more advice you really don't want the problems that could result.
Good luck

They have been run already and there's not much room between the top of the pipe and the level of the floor so any large piping wouldn't work.

The pipes run under the rad so I may be best leaving them exposed and fixing timber to support the new wood flooring when it goes down. I doubt they'd ever get knocked or damaged where they are.

James
Difficult to give 100% advice without knowing specific circumstances but it seems that you could be right and just use some timber supports for the flooring, just be aware of anything touching the pipes directly as you could end up with noises from the pipes rattling when the water is pumped through the circuit. Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Hi.
Done numerous central heating jobs where pipes are laid under floor screed and always wrapped pipes in denso tape.this will protect the pipes and allow some movement.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-ROLL-AN...ckaging_Materials&hash=item2ebdde663d[/QUOTE]

^This.

Concrete will corrode copper.
You need to take steps to protect the pipes. Even if you are not filling around them it may still be worth using denso tape to protect them in order to account for any future pipe movements or what have you.

Id use a tray with clip on cover if ther was space to get it under the pipes. Saves having to wrap them and you can pop off the cover in future to carry out any maintenace...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Denso tape does protect the pipes and has been used for decades by plumbers and gas board to wrap pipes in concrete/cement etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back