CONDENCING BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am told that as from the 1st april any new boiler must be a condencing boiler i have a small bungalow so can i not use a normal combi .
and as i will soon be installing a new heating system can anyone advise me what the best one to use and are they any good.
i will want a combi system to supply hot water to sinks and shower only and heating for a small 3 bed bungalow.

Sponsored Links
If you order non condencing by 1st april and pay small deposit there is a 3 month grace period before boiler must be installed. Talk of scotland having an other years grace before condensors must be fitted.Also points system where it`s more or less impossible to fit a condensing boiler a normal boiler will be allowed

thanks for the info
so are you saying that a non-condencing combi is better, ?
the job will be done next month so should i get one now and hang onto it until its fitted, ?
if so whats the best, ?

We have a small bugalow and a standard combi, Format 100e, which I am having some trouble with.
That aside, it has been fine for four years.
The main consideration in choice for us was the volume of hot water delivery for bathing for medical reasons. It is therefore a little high output for CH, but that is no problem. I think it was set at about 70k btu. To run a bath it takes about 10-15 mins. The greater the flow the lower the temperature :LOL: Regards flounder

Sponsored Links
so i take it that i need a good flow for a good shower,
but i would still like to know if a condencing combi is better
or should i fit non condencing now.
whats the best make ?
any help would be appreciated.

baxi do quite good condenser combis condensers are more efficient boilers or so they say, they re-use the flue gasses to heat a second heat exchanger they use a plastic flue because the gasses are so much cooler but the plume is like a cloud of mist so it must be 2.5 meters from a boundary line of any adjoining property used to be 2.0 meters but new regs have put it to 2.5 you also need to be able to put a small pipe into a soil pipe or rain water drain pipe or possibly a waste pipe within your house because there is a residue formed from the flue gasses chilling back to water vapour and its quite acidic

other wise a soakaway will have to be dug for it to drain into and as far as dispensation from having one fitted you have to get over 1000 points and you will have no chance as from the 1st of april all gas appliances must be registerd with corgi and building control so i dont think you will have much choice other than condensing..........

johnad said:
so i take it that i need a good flow for a good shower,
but i would still like to know if a condencing combi is better
or should i fit non condencing now.
whats the best make ?
any help would be appreciated.

As I pointed out there is a variation of water temperature due to flow rate. This can be a problem with high volume showers, as another HW demand could have the shower thermostat fighting the boiler delivery temperature. This is solved by the combi heating a HW storage tank.
Regards Flounder

This can be a problem with high volume showers

The voulme of the shower is Determined by the combi. They won't feed a 500mm diameter rose, but all normal heads are OK. The difference between 24kW and 28 (80,000 and 100,000) is quite noticeable, esp in the winter.
Ideal Icos is a fair choice, condensing but the bugs are out and it seems reasonably reliable, and not too £££y.

christo said:
the plume is like a cloud of mist so it must be 2.5 meters from a boundary line of any adjoining property used to be 2.0 meters but new regs have put it to 2.5
i have spoken to a plumber who has said that the limit is 1.5m from the boundary ?
i have a wide accsess way along the side of my building at about 1.5m ?.
this is the only place i can flue the boiler, the flue will be approx 2ft from a window will this be ok.
the problem is the guy who said he will commision the boiler for me is not happy to do this after the 1st april for a NON-condencing combi.
do i need to go for a bigger output than what i need for a good shower.
thanks

johnad said:
this is the only place i can flue the boiler, the flue will be approx 2ft from a window will this be ok.
If they haven't changed the rules again it's 300 mm from a window so you should be fine with 2'. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back