new boiler and current heating issue

jasperpie said:
well i've had british gas out to have a look at what needs to be done - they have advised against a combi condenser and advised to go for a normal tank fed condenser boiler.

I have been told that the 8mm microbore is ok, as are the rad's and will not need changing, although they do recommend to get the system powerflushed - thats if they do the work or not, as i wont be able to get the work commissioned or the warranty on the boiler will become void without it. (incase rubbish in system causes boiler fault)

they have quoted - for the boiler, installation, powerflush, controls, some kind of earth for the gas n elec meters + cold water stop cock, 1yr cover etc for £3100.

although when you look at it 3100 for a boiler and controls seems a little excessive, i have the assurances of comeback if something breaks plus they can commission there own work.

I am leaning toward going with british gas. would anyone be able to advise whether or not its too much of a risk sourcing the materials myself, and having an independent corgi bloke (or woman) fit the boiler???

ive just set up my own company and will be more than happy to come and give you a quote ;)

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
. A few that I have tested either because i have installed them or repaired new installs, are producing better hot water performance by a fair margin than the published spec.

The basic physics determines the DHW performance so if you have set the power input to the boiler correctly it must work to its spec.

Perhaps you are over looking that if the incoming water is at say 10°C then it only needs a 30°C rise to 40°C and so the flow rate will be higher than the relevant figure at 35°C.

Tony

been a while since i posted, but in that time i've had a few more people out to look at the boiler situation.

i've got to say i'm fair impressed with this forum, pretty handy info for newbies like me to this kinda thing.

Looks like i'm gonna go for the cylinder option, seems more fitting for what i need - washer, shower, dishwasher etc always running.

Am i right in thinking that of I source the materials myself, i.e - boiler, rads, valves etc etc etc. (deal i've spotted online). If i clean the system myself using http://www.hss.com/g/51610/Central_Heating_Flusher.html fit the rads, valves etc and have the other boiler set up ready to be attatched (ie - have the current vent blocked off and hole for the new one drilled out with the waste pipe ready) can this be commissioned by the corgi person fitting it. or do they have to source there own materials and do everything themselves (for guarantee the works done to scratch)

I ONLY MENTION THE RADS ETC NOW BECAUSE OF A DEAL I'VE SEEM WITH B&Q - 650 FOR 7 RADS, VALVES, BOILER, CONTROL ETC. the boiler might be utter crap, but i'll look at that over the next few days. has to be under 35, 000BTU i think. but that plus £1400 fitting (Bambergaspipe) and i'm still £1k better off minimum.

it seems to me that fitting a boiler alone is a dream easy money job for corgi fitters, (no offence to anyone), best part is, i've 2 gas fires to be installed too, LOL. It would be cheaper to re-train as a gas man, Hmmm :idea:

timmy 74 - feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] with some contact info.

thank you all thus far for the great info - hopefully soon i'll get this sorted, although then there will only be yet another job to do.

Sponsored Links
No problem supplying your self, but you will probably not get any installer warranty on the parts you supply, only manufacturers warranty that you ha to deal with your self if any probs. Avoid B & Q like the plague :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back