Required Pipe size for New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a conventional boiler system, I'm looking at getting the 32 year old boiler replaced (partly as I want it moved from where it is) I currently have 15mm pipe supplying the boiler. I've been told I need it upgrading to 22mm to compy with new regulations etc, I've also been told I'll be fine with 15mm if it's just for heating (ie not a combi)

Which is correct?

Sponsored Links
You might get away with 15mm for a heat only boiler depending on a few things. You will almost certainly need at least 22mm for a combi.

It all depends on where the boiler is in relation to the meter, and what other gas appliances you have.
I have installed a few combis on 15mm, but the meter has literally been next to the boiler.
Have also had to install some heat only boilers on 28mm then reducing down to 22mm, due to the location.
You need an RGI to properly calculate your needs.

Hope this helps

Graham

I've got a conventional boiler system, I'm looking at getting the 32 year old boiler replaced (partly as I want it moved from where it is) I currently have 15mm pipe supplying the boiler. I've been told I need it upgrading to 22mm to compy with new regulations etc, I've also been told I'll be fine with 15mm if it's just for heating (ie not a combi)

Which is correct?

HI YOU ARE I THINK WRITING ABOUT THE GAS SUPPLY TO YOUR BOILER
YOU DO NEED TO GET THE CORRECT SIZE TO SUIT THE BOILER, IF YOU DO
HAVE YOUR BOILER INSTALLED BY A GASSAFE REG, ENGINEER HE WILL
WORK OUT THE REQUIRED SIZE OF PIPE TO SUIT BOILER + ANY OTHER APPLIANCES YOU MAY HAVE IE. COOKER,FIRE.

ALL THE BEST
MARTYHEAT

Sponsored Links
Approx distance from meter to boiler is 10m, at approx 5m there is a T of which goes to the 4 ring hob in the kitchen, approx 1m of pipe.

I will get a few quotes over the next couple of weeks but just wanted to make sure there was no "rule" saying it must be a 22m supply pipe.

Id be very wary if anyone tells you that 15mm is ok on that size run. Cos it prob wont, and if you have a decent sized combi 22mm may not be big enough.
Worcester Bosch state all of their boilers need a minimum 22mm suppy unless its a 12i/ri

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back