Condensate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My outside condensate plastic pipe keeps freezing. More kettles of warm water each day.
Is there a way to insulate it ? Interior foam rubber stuff would, presumably, freeze the water content and make it worse.

Sponsored Links
What diameter is it? As a temporary measure you could lag it but it may need increasing in size

About an inch. There must be a product for it. Need to know what it is
Thanks

Sponsored Links
As OFIB has said, 32mm minimum pipe size outside, we prefer to use 40mm

because all the condansates are freezing and 32 and 40 freeze
i have started to use overflow and armaflex lagging because it has good insulation and is black so looks reasonable

i know 32 AND 40 look nice but they don't seen to be up to the job

only time will tell me if it was a good call but no call backs so far

as any 1 installed them wire heater over the pipe as my mate in BG are

i have done a few tracewires, they do work.

the size of the pipe is irrelevant. i have had several drain pipes freezing this week and not because of the condensate. anything will freeze if it's cold enough.

I think the idea of increasing the pipe size is not to prevent freezing, but rather to delay the effects of it, IE the condensate will still freeze but the kind of weather we normally get means that in a 40mm pipe it will have thawed again before the pipe becomes completely blocked.

Trace heating may be the way to go, it's about the same price as Armaflex anyway and shouldn't be destroyed by birds nicking bits of it for their nests in the Spring...

I think the idea of increasing the pipe size is not to prevent freezing, but rather to delay the effects of it, IE the condensate will still freeze but the kind of weather we normally get means that in a 40mm pipe it will have thawed again before the pipe becomes completely blocked.

maybe, but it isn't working :)

Trace heating may be the way to go, it's about the same price as Armaflex anyway and shouldn't be destroyed by birds nicking bits of it for their nests in the Spring...[/quote]

here come the digs, lol
yh but trace pipes will need replacing as i presume they are electric and not maintainance free

can brake during winter months as lagging can only get robbed with your copper

only time will tell how reliable they are.

the only weak point i can imagine is the thermostat, the wire is a wire.

says to wire it off boiler but i don't see a problem wiring it off anything as it uses pretty much zero current and has it's own RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back