condensation and mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an east facing bedroon wall in my ground floor flat which has humidity of 70% in the corner. I have managed to get the humidity down in the rest of the flat (to about 48%) with a dehumidifier and tumble/line drying clothes. The wall (plaster boarded) feels damp to the touch at times and my hall wall (same side of the building gets mouldy if i put anything against it. Is there anything I can do?

Sponsored Links
If condensation/mould is going to happen, the the room corners will be the most likely places - and corners will have a different humidity and temperature to any other part of the room.

By dealing with this on a whole flat basis, then you will lessen the potential for localised condensation.

If you are getting mould on a hall wall, then you have a bit of a condensation problem and you need to ensure that heating and ventilation are adequately used

I use the heating in the winter in the evenings. I have PVC windows (the one in the bedroon is quite small and high) which I leave cracked open all the time and open to air reasonably often. Any recommendations to improve ventilation? Would need to fit air bricks? I do have a boarded up fireplace which is not ventilated, would opening this up help?

One small air vent in your fireplace will work wonders. I had the same problem recently in my upsairs bedroom and only removed half a brick from fireplace and condensation is gone :D

Sponsored Links
Every property is different and what works for one person in a particular property is no guarantee that it will work for another person - or even the same person in another property.

Its no point fitting air bricks everywhere if ventilation is already adequate.

Read the FAQ, and follow the advice. But its a balancing act and trial and error. Condensation is (in most cases) caused by the person and not the building, so habits tend to need changing

Existing mould needs to be treated with fungicide, not just washed or brushed off. Heating needs to be used regular and at an even temperature throughout the property, not (for instance) baking hot in one room for a few hours per night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back