Condensation - HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
I would say at a minimum - a good extractor in key areas with a over-run timer would help and be a cheap option.

You need something that is quiet so the tenants are not tempted to over-ride it and turn off at the isolation switch.

Bathroom has extractor fan on light switch which over runs so not so worried about that. In kitchen though it's not possible to fit an extractor fan due to cooker backing on to nextdoor and side being a window. Unless there's such a thing as a condensing extractor fan? Did read up about the normal PIVs and the ones with heaters in. Have no experience of them but just worried they sound a bit too good to be true. Would you suggest one with a heater in. Was chatting to the missus earlier and was thinking that if we can get a cheap window with trickle vents fitted (as the current one is pretty knackered - side window opens but the fan window is stuck). I agree that we need to sort the tenants out with how they do things but just wanted to do all I can as well. I know there's the possibility of cavity wall insulation making things worse but would think that the chances are more in favour of improving keeping the warmth in? Any way chaps, have a great new years eve and an even better 2018!!!

The loft can get damned cold in the winter, so a small heater in the unit will take the edge off it. You can warm the house up as much as you like with the CWI, but if the tenants don't open the window, then they'll eventually come back and complain again. Lok to change the glass units on the good windows, and the whole units on the bad ones.

And best of luck yourself.

Sponsored Links
Can you not fit a standard "bathroom extractor" in the kitchen? Again, with an over-run timer. Any extractor is better than no extractor.

I will re-iterate that unless you solve the problem of too much water vapour being produced in the house (and it not being removed from the property), installing cavity wall insulation or replacing the glass could make the issue worse and more pronounced in other areas.

The condensation is caused by the tenants, not the lack of insulation and/or age of windows.

I have single glazed leaded light windows in my house. They get very cold to touch. They should be far more prone to condensation than your walls and windows.....but....I get none (or very little)....why? Because I ensure moisture is removed from moisture prone areas, I do not dry clothes on radiators, I keep a comfortable warm consistent temperature rather than extremes of hot and cold.

What my windows do show at times is how quickly a lack of ventilation can result in condensation. If I start cooking, and do not put the extractor on, and the heating happens to be off (if cold outside). The windows at the other end of the house will start to get condensation on them. That is how quickly water vapour can build up, dissipate though the house and condensate on a cold surface.

Now imagine your house....tenants cooking without an extractor, drying clothes on radiators and not heating the property properly. They are literally walking around the house and emptying a bucket of water in each room (or boiling it away). If that water can't escape, it just stays in the house and comes back as condensation. That is how you have to picture the situation.

That is why new glazing and cavity insulation will not solve the issue. The tenants will still be walking around emptying buckets of water in each room.

Good luck and happy new year.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back