condensation in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a job for an old couple in a 22 year old bungalow,cavity walls with insulation.they have had leaks behind the sink area with two leaking old plastic 15mm tees, replaced those and then two more joints in a corner behind a cupboard also leaked about a week later, so changed those.
the area behind the sink is on a north wall with no ventilation.
there is a corner cupboard then a sink with a washing machine next to that and the cold pipework is always wet or damp behind these units. i know the cold coming in is always colder but it seems like a dead air pocket.
would drilling a 100mm vent or a couple of 50mm holes( sleeved across the cavity) behind these cupboards to allow air changes help the situation? or just add to the problems
any opinions or advise would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Extra ventilation is good for damp areas, but as the cause was leaks it's just a matter of time before it dries out , probably a few months, you could add pipe insulation to cold supply to reduce condensation.

i added the insulation on the original repair but the pipework still attracts moisture. i suppose at this time of year with very cold water coming into the property on a north wall its only to be expected
ill drill the holes and see if that helps. cheers for the answer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back