Condensation in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I've looked around and seen a few posts but none seem relevant to my issue - Help Appreciated

Just moved into a new house and the roof was re-done (before I took ownership). It is a tiled roof and looking at it from the inside of the loft there is a black cloth/nylon like covering (no signs of insulation other than this lining)

Last night I went into the attic and found condensation around half way up the black cloth (literally dripping). On closer invetigation found white mould (?) on a lot of the beams.

I have just spent a fortune on my house, and fixing other issues - PLEASE tell me there is something I can do ...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you need ventilation
either in the roof or around the eaves which requires the insulation stopping short by around 6 inches

the discoloration may be from before the roof was fixed

also assuming you have entered the attic on several different occasions recently or left the trap door open in the attic that can introduce lots of moisture that cant escape without proper ventilation

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem in a new house (7 years old) , wringing wet condensation after cold frosty nights; this despite having vents in the soffits. Since then got advice from this forum and have installed a vent at each gable end. Problem seems to have been solved.

BTW Can anybody please tell me what the Building Regulations currently demand for Roof ventilation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back