Condensation in loft!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I was up in my loft the other day and noticed alot of condensation on the felt which was dripping on to the insulation below it. there are no signs of any tears in the felt and the moisture is appearent on most of the felt.

I have just had my chimney stacks taken down and two air vents put in where the stacks used to be. These have been fitted to the roof where the stacks used to be.

The chimneys have not been capped.

I am worried that the warm air in the house is coming up the stacks and entering the roof space causing the condensation due to the cold air outside. :(

Any ideas on how to remendy this little problem :rolleyes:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Block the chimneys @ low level........stuff some rockwool up the flue :idea:

Sponsored Links
I agree with Tom. Also check the loft insulation between ceiling joists is not rammed into the eaves so blocking air circulation.

I have a mild problem with condensation in my bungalow loft and the eaves are clear so you will get a certain amount it's unavoidable.

Think also if the disused stacks are still open get them capped with spigot hoods, it looks like a rounded ridge tile with a spigot that sits in the flue and is cemented in place. this allows ventilation without rain dropping down the flue. I've put hundreds on stacks.
Sorry Nige F but that slows up or even stops air circulation and if you do that you can risk damp showing on the inside walls as damp black patches [soot stains] if the last fires used were coal and the flues were not lined for gas fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back