Condensation inside the glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a window whether the sealed inner unit where the glass is has condensation and water inside it. My brother seems to think its the seal around the glass that has gone, someone else tells me its the glass that needs complete changing.

Any advice on what it could be ?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The complete glass unit needs changing but not the frame. Don't get confused with the seal around the glass and the seal around the unit..........LOL I know! Ignore the black rubber gasket that you can probably see around the glass inside and out, this isn't the seal that creates the sealed unit nor is it the seal that's failed, the seal that's failed you will only see once you remove the glass unit from the frame but all you'll see is the seal, you won't actually see the failure point, it can be just a pin hole so both your brother and someone else are both right

Thanks for this, how easy is it to change a glass, and how do you also measure it ?

The complete glass unit needs changing but not the frame. Don't get confused with the seal around the glass and the seal around the unit..........LOL I know! Ignore the black rubber gasket that you can probably see around the glass inside and out, this isn't the seal that creates the sealed unit nor is it the seal that's failed, the seal that's failed you will only see once you remove the glass unit from the frame but all you'll see is the seal, you won't actually see the failure point, it can be just a pin hole so both your brother and someone else are both right

Thanks for this, how easy is it to change a glass, and how do you also measure it ?

If its in a upvc window, the beads and gaskets can be taken off to get the unit out. Some more modern units are stuck in with double sided foam for security, you would then need to cut round it will a sharp blade.

Measuring it -carefully!

you will need to specify:
width and height
overall thickness IE 4-20-4
colour of spacer bar
whether toughened or not
specifcation of glass coating -probably soft coat low e these days.

When refitting, make sure you use the correct glazing shims, especially those at the bottom.
Also make sure the drainage holes are not blocked

Sponsored Links
Platform,

Video here that I once used for guidance to install double glazed unit (and there are many others):
and

It was an okay job to do, but the videos make it look easier than I found it. Mainly because I found it hard to gauging how much force to use without causing damage when removing the white beading and hitting them back in with a hammer.

Note to see if I was up to job, before I bought new glass I had a go at removing the white strips, tilted the glass out a bit, and then measured the glass (h x w x thickness). Then put old glass back in and the white strips. This ensured I (and the window) was up to the task, gave me the measurements and showed me how hard to hit it with the hammer.

If I had failed I would have then looked in Yellow pages / Google for a company who would replace the glass for me, making sure to get a quote first and negotiate a lower price.

SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back