Condensation issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had new UPVC windows in my house throughout. I was surprised when the fitters told me to expect some condensation around the edges of the units.

This morning, when I woke up I had at least 4 inches of condensation at the bottom of the bedroom window. I even had some on the bottom of the frame too. The amount was enough to make a tea towel go completly soggy.

Is this right ? Why are they doing this?

To be fair, some other windows downstairs did not have any condensation.

Sponsored Links
if you have no or light curtains thats about right

the down stairs will be drier because of air movement with people entering and leaving the house
moisture will also migrate upstairs as hot air rises

all the moisture in the room as the air cools will condence on the coldest surface
also people asleep give out loads off moisture
its worth airing the rooms during the day when the heating is off for a couple of hours and leave all doors shut to stop moist air from down stairs and the bathroom getting caught up in the bedroom

and if you dry washing on the radiators this will compound the problem

Thanks very much for the advice Big-all.

A lot of what you say is happening.

We have the door shut at night. Windows closed fully. Bathroom is opposite bedroom and that has window closed too. We shower each morning and bathroom does steam up.

The curtains are actually quite heavey in the bedroom but, they only just fit the window.

I am glad to hear that I do not have bad windows!!

I suppose at this time of year, clearing up the condensation is more desirable than having the windows on vent.

do you have an extractor in the bathroom !!!!!

this will remove a lot off the moist air if you can convince people to use it before they turn the shower on till 10 mins after youve finnished

if you think of how much water you get condensing in the bathroom when its cold you realise why you windows being the coldest surface in the room get a bit wet :D

Sponsored Links
Its funny but, we used to have aluminuim single glazing. They were always soaking from about september through to april.

But being so dfafty, we never had any problems in the bath room.

I fitted a shower myself last year and did not fit a fan :oops:

So now we have the new windows (its only been 2 weeks) the bathroom is actually starting to go a bit mouldy. I thought to my self that on the plus side this proves that the windows are insulating properly!!

I would fit a fan (need one in the kitchen too!) but it will have to wait unti I come to re-decorate.

Lesson learned, I will make sure that the window is on vent in the bathroom.

I will have a think about putting a fan in the bathroom.

(funny your wording "convince people to use fan" remember my dad begging me to use the fan when I was younger. Its not untill your paying for ££££ for stuff that you realise the importance of looking after things!!!)

an open window will help
but the best results are when the fan "pulls" the air out and because the steam will collect from the ceiling down a high mounted fan will do the most good

and dont forget youll either need to put the vent in the wall or have a specialy made double glazing unit to fit your fan
if you havent got the terminals already live specificly for your fan you need an elictrician to install if you want comply with part "p"

A typical bathroom fan uses about 20W. So it will run for 50 hours for less than 10p.

I like to have mine switch on automatically with the light switch as some people can't be bothered to turn then on :rolleyes:

JohnD said:
I like to have mine switch on automatically with the light switch as some people can't be bothered to turn then on :rolleyes:
Auto humidity fan :?:

Sometimes bathrooms need ventilating even when they aren't humid :LOL:

Thanks for all the help.

You start off thinking it s a problem with the windows, next thing I need an electrician. LOL!!

I will have a look into fitting a fan.

i always have the trickle vents open on the window. We werent designed to live in air tight boxes. Never feel a draught even in winter.

Our heating goes off at 11 PM & we always open our small bedroom window at night; if I forget, I almost certainly wake with an almighty headache around 4 AM!

Fresh air is good for you; we’ve had new DG units fitted for 18 months now & don’t have any problems with condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back