Condensation on toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a way to stop the buildup of condensation on the toilet custern? Short of filling it from the hot water supply :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Is it in the bathroom & do you have an extractor fan fitted? Moisture will only condense onto a cold surface if it is present in the first place. I sometimes get this but usually it’s when someone forgets to turn on the fan when using the bath or shower.

It's in a bathroom without extractor but the window is fastened open about an inch permanently, but the radiator in there is the only one without thermostatic valves so is on quite a lot.

I have the same problem in my bathroom (the one above is the parents). Mine has an automatically controlled extractor which comes on with humidity, no heating, and again is nearly always damp.

As I said cold surface & moisture laden warm air = condensation. Two slightly different causes here;
• in one room you have heating but no ventilation. You really need a good, extractor fan in there to get rid of moisture rather than just an open window; forced ventilation is now a requirement under Building Regulations, both on new builds or renovations.

• In the other room you have apparently good ventilation but no heating so any moisture laden air from bath/shower just condenses on the cold surfaces.

To avoid condensation, you need sufficient heating & good ventilation!

Sponsored Links
In the first case their house is always cold so plenty of heating. I'll get an extractor installed.

My house is different as we don't use the heating. The house is always warm and so far had no heating on at all last winter other than a few hours before the cold set in to check it worked, same this year. Looks like I'm stuck with it as I don't want heating on just for bathroom.

Sorry, slight tangent, but how do you get away with no or little heating across winter?

whats your secret?

... Mine has an automatically controlled extractor which comes on with humidity, no heating, and again is nearly always damp.
you might be able to adjust the humidity sensor so it runs more. If you look up the make and model and/or post a pic someone will know.

But if you like the bathroom to be cold, then it is almost certain to be damp

Hi there,

I have heard that if you are able to stick a yoga mat to the inside of the cistern this "insulates" the cistern and should stop the condensation.

Rico

It's in a bathroom without extractor... but the window is fastened open about an inch permanently... but the radiator in there is the only one without thermostatic valves so is on quite a lot.

heating on and window open means they are spending money warming the globe, not the house.

an extractor fan is better at taking the steam out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back