Condensation soaked into plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

In a previous topic I've mentioned that the room I'm decorating seems to collect a lot of condensation. The room is an extension, so there are no rooms above or next to the room where the condensation collects.

Below is a couple of pictures where the condensation mainly soaks into the plaster. Is there anyway i can protect the plaster from all this moisture?

18112007746bl7.jpg

18112007747cs1.jpg

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Condensation usually happens at the base of the wall behind furniture where the air can't circulate. I'd put good money on you having a leak.

Condensation wont mark the wall like that. a leak of some kind sounds more likely. Check whats above the room.

Ditto...i dont think its condensation either.

Sponsored Links
Before i stripped the wallpaper off the walls. There was mold around the two windows, in two corners next to the wall where a bin and a box use to be. In the picture of the corner (with the rc helicopter) the condensation was all down that part of the wall where my wardrobe is. The other picture is of the wall next to the corner.

Since Ive removed the wallpaper they has been no signs of condensations on the plaster apart from the areas that i took the photos of. When i took those photos it wasn't raining outside. After i posted the question on here i went out and i left the window slightly open to vent some paint fumes. It had been raining for a couple of hours when arrived home and i noticed the plaster had dried out.

Hm. But I have to agree with the other posters that this looks like water penetration. Is it a flat roof?? check for bubbles/ cracks in felt, especially on corners, depending on age 20yrs plus, felt may need replaceing..(like mee). If its a pitched roof check under first layer of tiles for ripped /rotten sarking felt. Looks very much that type of problem..
good luck..

Lets just pretend it is condensation that is causing certain parts of the plaster to get damp. Is there anything to protect it?

Let it dry out and use Kotina paper then line over the top of it.

Was that wall papered before hand?..it looks like it..is the 'condensation' sticky to the touch?..if so you havnt got the paste off properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back