Damp or Condensation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post so i hope i am posting in the correct forum.

I have attached photos with this post and some of the references to wall 1 and wall 2 can be seen on the photo.

I have previously had a problem in the same room with unsightly black marks coming through the paintwork. So this time when preparing to re-decorate i cleaned them off and applied damp seal paint where the marks generally appeared.

The problem in the upstairs bedroom wall 1 adjoins the neighbours house and wall 2 is the external wall. I am not sure if the problem is water getting into the wall or condensation.

The marks (now painted over) generally appear where the blue marks have been put on the photos below.

Generally this wall feels the coldest out of all the walls in the room i have been told my a friend that it is probably condensation.

The photo below shows the kind of thing that happens water droplets collecting on the wall surface. this photo was taken close to the floor on wall 1.

When the water droplets collect at the top of the wall they generally drip down the wall

I am not sure if i have explained the problem correctly but some advice as to what it possibly could be and possible fixes would be great.

I don't think it is water getting into the wall as it has not rained today and the water started collecting towards the evening as it got colder and i was in that room decorating.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Given the spread I'd be outside checking the guttering to see if rain falls behind or in front of the gutter- maybe the roof has moss and that's now collected in the gutter.

Also check for joins and connections that may have opened, splits in the down pipe and any other pipes in the area outside the wall.

If the room is vented, and has heat then really condensation shouldn't be an issue.

What you have described sounds like black spot, you should have dried out the wall treated with anti bacterial (or strong bleach) and seen what reoccurs before attempting a finish which will likely fail again.

Condensation, i would think due to lack of airflow in the room. Proper insulation is needed to keep external surfaces warmer and ventilation to keep air moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back