Condensing boiler exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where I live it is difficult t fit a condensing boiler as I live in a block of flats. The combi boiler needs replacing in about six months as it now quite old. A plumber said it needs a condensing boiler and a plume kit that will look very ugly and cross the public landing on the ceiling of the landing. It will still cause a plume to waft onto the landing above. The owner of the block may refuse permission. The plumber said all boilers must be condensing and there are no exceptions as the regs changed three years ago. I did a search and from this government web site:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu...ocuments/partl/bcassociateddocuments9/further

I found this 2005 document from the above government site:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_CONDBOILER.pdf

It clearly states that there are exemptions. Is this plumber wrong? The document appears to say so. Thanks for any comments.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure there are exemptions but they are very hard to qualify for.
So there are exemptions and the document is right. Thanks. In my case the block owner not giving permission for a plume extension pipe across the common ceiling must be an exemption?

Was he right in that regs have changed in the past 3 years. The government site does not mention any of this?

All boilers must be condensing unless you can prove it not to be possible, can't renember when it changed though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Did it actually change? The web site does not seem to indicate that there has been any change. It looks like the block owners will not allow a plume pipe to cross the common landing, so I would assume an exemption.

What non-condensing combi models are available? Any ideas?

The combi boiler needs replacing in about six months as it now quite old. A plumber said it needs a condensing boiler and a plume kit that will look very ugly and cross the public landing on the ceiling of the landing.
What's wrong with the existing boiler?

Who says it needs replacing?

Where does the flue of the existing boiler run?

Contact local building control but I think you'll have a hard job convincing them that you can fit a standard efficiency boiler.

And even if you do get permission you'd better hurry as standard efficiency boilers are due to be banned in the EU from September 2015.

The combi boiler needs replacing in about six months as it now quite old. A plumber said it needs a condensing boiler and a plume kit that will look very ugly and cross the public landing on the ceiling of the landing.

The heat exchanger, 3-way valve, plate heat exchanger keeps blocking and reducing flows and other parts are shot. It is new boiler time. The flue exits onto a common open landing. A plume there would be a problem.

Could I fit a blending valve on a condensing boiler to take the return temperature above 60C and have the boiler set to very high temperature to prevent the plume?

The heat exchanger, 3-way valve, plate heat exchanger keeps blocking and reducing flows and other parts are shot. It is new boiler time. The flue exits onto a common open landing. A plume there would be a problem.

Could I fit a blending valve on a condensing boiler to take the return temperature above 60C and have the boiler set to very high temperature to prevent the plume?

No that won't prevent plumbing it tends as there will be steam in the flue gasses that can condense no matter what the temperature is. Plumes are usually worse at higher flue temperatures.

Fitting a non condensing boiler will make no difference to the flueing. Why can't you fit a condensing boiler?

I had a really good case for getting an exemption a few years back. Unfortunately what stopped me was that I couldn't get hold of a non condensing boiler. Don't know of any manufacturer producing one. Why would they?

The flue exits onto a common open landing. A plume there would be a problem.

Is that your only external wall?

Otherwise the plume on the landing has to be tolerated unless a flue extension kit can be used.

I51-3933-F036.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back