Condensing boiler flue nuisance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a rented flat and the neighbour has the condensing boiler flue coming out of the wall which is on the boundary and is directed at our window, the end of the flue is about 1.5 metres from our kitchen window. Apart from the noise whilst the boiler is on the gases emitted get blasted out directly into our kitchen window when it's open. The landlord says, 'it's been like it for 10 years and the previous tenant never complained the gases are just water vapour'. We don't want problems with the neighbour or our landlord and have passed a letter via our landlord to the neighbour asking them to fit an elbow to direct the gases upwards which the neighbour is considering. Advice please.

Sponsored Links
the flue is installed within regulations, therefor the neighbour doesn't have to do anything!!
from a good will point of view then he should consider the remedial work to divert the product's away from ypour window although don't be surprised if he says no or ask's you or your landlord to assist with the charges!!

the flue is installed within regulations, therefor the neighbour doesn't have to do anything!!
from a good will point of view then he should consider the remedial work to divert the product's away from ypour window although don't be surprised if he says no or ask's you or your landlord to assist with the charges!!

Your not aware of the term 'nuisance plumage' then
:eek:

Your not aware of the term 'nuisance plumage' then
:eek:
Hi oph,

I wasn't, can you elaborate? I am aware of App Doc J of the building regs regarding flue outlet position - are there any other regulations that apply?

Mathew

Sponsored Links
Nuisance plummage guidlines are not retrospective

More to the point, assuming you were being careful with your choice of words, guidelines are presumably just that i.e. not mandatory.

Mathew

boiler flue coming out of the wall which is on the boundary and is directed at our window, the end of the flue is about 1.5 metres from our kitchen window. .

FF terminal should be at least 2m from any opening in a building directly opposite and should NOT discharge POC across adjoining boundaries (from the horses mouth).

Ask the neighbour to consider a PMK.

Like most worthwhile information in my industry, the guidelines are not black and white but if you install a boiler and consideration is not taken to the termination of the flue regarding potential wind direction in relation of the neighboring windows and doors then if POC's find their way through doors and windows then the installer could be liable for the high jump.

Remember the word could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back