condensing boilers. any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking for a boiler for a job im on.
told by a installer i rang, that the new condensing boilers only give a 3% increase in efficiency not the 17% thats claimed.
claims that on courses, even the suppliers don't refute this.
he recomends a conventional 'worcester' boiler.
any comments?

Sponsored Links
More than 3% in condensing mode but Pluming flue can be a problem also condensate seems to corrode most things eventually, they still have probs with heat exchangers rotting (stainless steel seems to be the best).
Will most likely not last as long as a conventional boiler but unless it is almost impossible to fit a condensing boiler you have little choice.
Big brother.= It's ok so long as they are spending your money
I fit loads of them Though not through choice but do not want one myself.
Pete

Gasman1015 said:
Ring another installer.

Exactly, you need to find one who doesn't tell you all the truth, but just selectivley tells what the authorities want you to believe.

Sponsored Links
Not trying to hijack the thread, but which make of condensing combis have stainless steel heat exchangers ?????

Most makes have stainless HEs but a few have either ali or an ali recuperator.

For those who still dont know, all boilers installed should be condensing since 1st April 2005.

Tony

in england and wales agile,ni and scotland have yet to follow :LOL:

And that is only for gas boilers, oil is 2007.

Official efficiency figures are HERE For all types of boilers and fuels.
new condensing boilers only give a 3% increase in efficiency not the 17% thats claimed
The figures for seasonal efficiency are
10% according to the above link and 13% according to THIS on the same site :!: :!: :!:
According to my maths this equates to 12.8 and 17.3% increase in efficiency depending on which bit of contradictory evidence you would like to believe!
The government cant be wrong can they ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: or maybe I have missed something!

What some people are getting confused by is the INCREASE in efficiency gained by fitting a new condensing boiler.

Most condensing boilers are between 88% and 95% efficient so the INCREASE actually depends mostly on what you are replacing.

Replace a modern fan flued low water content modulating boiler and its only about 10% or less.

Replace a massive over rated 20 year old potty Kingfisher with open flue and huge water content and it could be as much as 20% to 40%.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back