condenstation in single brick porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a ground floor maisonette with a single brick exterior porch on the back of the property. The porch has a double glazed back door and window and leads out from the kitchen where there is a back door. The problem we have is that there is black mould over some of the ceiling and parts of the brick work and the condensation is coming from the ceiling and is also on the outer brick wall. I don't know where to start to try and solve the problem.

Should we leave the back door open to try and dry the porch out. Who should we call in to try and identify whats causing the problem?

On top of this in the main bedroom which has 2 exterior walls, occasionally in the built in wardrobe we get a distinct musty smell (the wardrobe is against the main exterior wall) and i noticed the other day in the wardrobe on one of the shelves that there is a mould patch. I don't understand why this is happening as the property has had cavity wall insulation. Please help!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
If it is just from condensation you can fit upvc cladding to it, it is hollow and so helps reduce condensation by providing a bit of a barrier between the warm air and cold brick.
I have used in a garage and the result was pretty amazing.

thanks so much for your advice - stupid question i assume the cladding goes on the inside?

Just need to sort out bedroom problem

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes, if you buy a good adhesive you can just stick it to the walls and ceiling on the inside of the porch.
It fits together a bit like laminate flooring.

Sorry I can't help with the bedroom, have you tried a dehumidifier in there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back