Conduit Wiring - Colour Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My neighbour has asked if I could help him re-rout some wiring in his shed / garden office.

The situation is he has moved the door from one end to the side and this now means that the existing plastic conduit (which contains a ring main wired in Red, Black and Green/Yellow 2.5mm singles) runs at waist height across the new door.

He has asked me to help him re-rout the cables up and over the new door.

There is no slack in the cables so re-using them is out of the question, so he will have to use new cables (Brown, Blue and Yellow/Green).

My question is this: Do I need to sleeve any of the new or existing cables to be compliant with regs?

The current ring is from point to point so it is only a case of replacing the affected wires between 2 points - but this will obviously mean that part of the circuit is in new and part in old wiring colours.

Thanks for any comments

Sponsored Links
To comply, you need to fix a label to the incoming junction box/mini CU, or equivalent, saying that there are cables to more than one standard. These are available from most good electrical shops.

There is no requirement to change the colour of the existing wiring.

Although there is a requirement to fit a warning notice if mixed wiring colours are present within an installation if wiring additions or alterations are made. The warning notice should be placed at or near the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information

I think I will need to use the warning notices as I don't know where to get Red cables from

Black, Brown, Blue and Yellow/Green is from everywhere - but 2.5mm Red seems a bit thin on the ground.

Ah - just found a local supplier that apparently does RED cables - only problem is all the cables come in a minimum of 100m so going to have a lot left over!

Never mind - thanks to all for your comments

The red is becoming thinner on the ground because it's no longer a standard color under the new scheme. Black is still widely available because it's now a phase color for 3-phase systems (brown/black/grey).

If they are singles, you'll need to enclose them in conduit: you can't sleeve them.

If they are singles, you'll need to enclose them in conduit: you can't sleeve them.
My neighbour has asked if I could help him re-rout some wiring in his shed / garden office. .... means that the existing plastic conduit (which contains a ring main wired in Red, Black and Green/Yellow 2.5mm singles) ....

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back