Wiring colours & light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

On some drawings (recent) I see 4 wires from 1 cable, Red, Green, Blue & yellow.

I have just bought some new cable to add a light & switch to a new shed and it only has 3 wires, green, brown & blue.

I'm confused.

Question 2.

I have fitted a junction box on the load side if a consumer unit.

I want to connect the feed to one side of the light switch (it has 2 L1 & 2 L2) and the lights to the other side, i can not get it to work at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rogern

Sponsored Links
rogern said:
Hi

On some drawings (recent) I see 4 wires from 1 cable, Red, Green, Blue & yellow.
When you say green I assume you mean bare copper sleeved green/yellow stripe?
This is the pre harmonization colour scheme for 3core and earth commonly used in 2 way lighting circuits or bathroom fan circuits amongst other things.
I have just bought some new cable to add a light & switch to a new shed and it only has 3 wires, green, brown & blue.
This is the harmonized colour scheme for twin + earth.
I'm confused.
So is the rest of the nation :D
I have fitted a junction box on the load side if a consumer unit.
I want to connect the feed to one side of the light switch (it has 2 L1 & 2 L2) and the lights to the other side, i can not get it to work at all.
Any help would be appreciated.
Rogern
I think what you are saying is you have a supply (live and neutral) going to the light switch and want a switched supply going out to a light.
Does the switch not have two L3 or Commons? Normally 2gang switches are 2way.
If this is so, connect one brown to L1, the other brown to L2 and then both blues together in a terminal block. Connect both earths together in terminal block and a loop off to the switch plate and back box if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back