Configuration on a split load unit

Hi jcdel, and welcome to the forum.

Your first point is quite a big one, and probably off-topic, being the belief that regulations are created to generate revenue, rather than for the general good and for the protection of the unwary. Personally, I doubt that our elected government and councils would be able to conceal your postulated strategy well enough, and that you're being more than a little cynical.

A couple of other points:

jcdel said:
tradesmen who are rogue traders.Don't worry tho' Trading Standards will get them(sometimes)
I hardly think so - TS is powerless to act upon lone reports against businesses.

jcdel said:
Many pro's only too pleased to help and encourage
Quite so; and on this occasion the reason I'm not doing that (yet) is because of the following sentence in the original posting:

quick question for peace of mind.

I still maintain that this was designed to lull the experts into thinking that this deserved a quick and simple answer. It didn't work.

jcdel said:
Part P from the ODPM seems to indicate that any electrical work carried out before 1st January 2005 is unsafe
1. Part P is not from the ODPM;
2. I'm not aware that Part P requires, or implies a need for, retrospective testing of pre-2005 installations.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Part P is not from the ODPM;
Err - yes it is.

The original proposals were issued in May 2002 by the Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions.

The DTLR is no more, and has been replaced by the ODPM.

The ODPM is responsible for the Building Regulations.

The ODPM publish the Approved Documents.

The actual law, (Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004) laid before Parliament was signed on behalf of the First Secretary of State by Phil Hope, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

So I'm not sure in what way it's not from them....

ban-all-sheds said:
Softus said:
Part P is not from the ODPM;
Err - yes it is.
I stand corrected - I was in blissful ignorance of the following change:

The DTLR is no more, and has been replaced by the ODPM.

So I'm not sure in what way it's not from them....
Strictly speaking, and to be pedantic at the exact moment that I'm least entitled to be, it's from it rather than from them.

Adam_151 said:
geeli said:
2) use another RCD for your lighting circuits both downstairs and upstairs.

Unless its a TT system, why RCD the lights?

indeed TT system and if i am not wrong TNS system too can RCD the lights...

Sponsored Links
You can, but please explain why you would want to.

The whole point of s/l boards is that the RCD can fail leaving some essential circuits (like lighting) on.

This way you can make your way back to the CU without being in the dark.

oh wow!

Quite a debate i started. :( Look guys, sorry if i seem to have annoyed people it hasn't been my intention. Honestly!

The proposed project hasn't been completed or attempted. It was an idea for my new house which i am moving to in a couple of weeks. I was playing with potential ideas.

I am however not going to change the CU now (i have been well and truly put off :cry: )

I have done a fair bit of DIY work and basic electrics (not claiming to be a pro) and consider my work to be to a good standard. It's something i aim for, after all i have to live with it. I enjoy doing it to!

Ban_all_sheds i have read many of your posts and think your advice is always great. I realise the points you are making. I suppose that not being aware of what you don't know could be typical of life.

I am the kind of person that is always willing to try, it's my nature, can't blame a guy for that surely!!

I have obviously made mistakes in this post and will learn from what has been said.

Thanks for help guys, no nastiness meant. Honest. Please forgive!! :confused:

Cheers

So ban-all-sheds, how many people are fully qualified, have spent years training, practicing etc. and know everything there is to know about an electrical job before doing any work. Are sparkies all electrical engineers? (as in IEE chartered ones), who even then would not know it all, or even nearly. I find that the more you learn the more you realise you don't know - bit of a neverender that!!

Pensdown said:
Softus, can I use that line when I really want to demoralise someone :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Well, I suppose, but that truly wasn't my aim. Challenge - yes. Demoralise - no.

I'm not a big fan of the "smoke and mirrors" brigade - if I get even a whiff of an ulterior motive then I bite through the muzzle pretty quickly.

I was, and still am, highly skeptical of nice1chris, especially since he's now revealed the reason for the question to be an interest in changing the CU. And he played the "didn't mean to be nasty" card when there was no hint of nastiness from him in the first place! Frankly, methinks he doth protest too much.

Softus

I cant see a problem with anything you wrote, just given the normal site banter between sparks and plumbers, I though that was a cracking line coming from a plumber :LOL:

nice1chris said:
I give up..

think whatever!!!!
In the absence of you being open and straightforward in your original question, I had no choice but to think. And I still smell a rat.

Pensdown said:
...normal site banter between sparks and plumbers...
Absolutely :evil:

There isn't a rat, no hidden agenda, i obviously didn't realise that it looked like i was hiding something!!

I didn't want this fuss, only asked a question!! Please please please lets drop it (i hate to beg!!) :confused:

Ever had that feeling that shouldn't have spoke? That's me now!

Cheers for guide Pensdown, but honestly i've changed my mind.

Will save for future i think.

Cheers :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back