Conflicting Opinions - a Low Loss Header or not?

Sponsored Links
if you go with the LLH option you can close the system or leave it open, but any rubbish will get in boiler what ever way you do it.
With the plate option you can seal the boiler side, which new boiler might prefer and leave old scummy unknown entity open and functioning as if it was still running off the original boiler.

Hello

Welcome to the world of the heating installer, each of whom has their own idea of how to improve heating systems.

I have been doing this stuff for forty years now and still learn something new every day.

If I was you I would reiterate everything again (if you want to) type of existing system, does it have a header tank, does it serve a hot water cylinder, controls etc. Type of new boiler, is it pressurised, or can it work on a open vented system.

I would then only listen to D Hailsham and Agile, they seem to have the expertise and the calm logic to advise you which way to go. I am no longer in touch with equipment available in the UK with regard to appliances etc. If you go down the plate heat exchanger route get advice on sizing it correctly and the flow rates through it, Mr Hailsham would be able to help you with that. Also bear in mind it will split your system into two parts and additional pumps, pressure relief valves etc may be required, Mr Agile can help you with that.
Whatever happens best of luck and I hope that you get your system up and running before the winter returns.

Hello

Welcome to the world of the heating installer, each of whom has their own idea of how to improve heating systems.

I have been doing this stuff for forty years now and still learn something new every day.

If I was you I would reiterate everything again (if you want to) type of existing system, does it have a header tank, does it serve a hot water cylinder, controls etc. Type of new boiler, is it pressurised, or can it work on a open vented system.

I would then only listen to D Hailsham and Agile, they seem to have the expertise and the calm logic to advise you which way to go. I am no longer in touch with equipment available in the UK with regard to appliances etc. If you go down the plate heat exchanger route get advice on sizing it correctly and the flow rates through it, Mr Hailsham would be able to help you with that. Also bear in mind it will split your system into two parts and additional pumps, pressure relief valves etc may be required, Mr Agile can help you with that.
Whatever happens best of luck and I hope that you get your system up and running before the winter returns.

Agile is a boiler breakdown engineer, not an installer, so I do not think he is qualified to give an accurate opinion on installation matters

Sponsored Links
OK, I'm going to specify a plate heat exchanger, and have the boiler as a sealed circuit, with replacement pumps and controls.

Thanks everyone for your help, guidance, discussion and at times confusion! I have learnt a lot.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. The new Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 42CDi boiler is in and working, complete with SWEF plate heat exchanger and all is very well. Quite an amazing difference in final quotes from three companies, nearly £3k difference.
I chose the cheapest, not because of that, although it was important, but because the discussive approach to coming up with the final solution was much more open and involving, especially when it came to connecting into the old iron pipes.
And from what I can see, their work is neat and some of the old issues in the boiler house like electrical wiring have been tidied up along the way.

I am in a similar situation and wanted to replace my Ideal floor standing boiler.

@Chris43
1) Did the boiler work out well in the end for you?
2) Was the plate exchanger neccessary?
3) Any issues with the boiler being in a boiler house and was it outside in the elements?

Would be great if yu can PM the installer name as I am wanting to do mine

Thank you - I have the same sized house, and same boiler so thought it was useful to restart this thread! Ill post a new thread no problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back