Confused about candidates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just got back (wild night or what, stayed out until after 10pm ;) ) and found that I have two leaflets vying for my vote.

"So what?" I hear the voices in my head cry

Well, they are BOTH representing Labour. Seriously, I appear to have two Labour party members who want to be my MP. Isn't this somewhat foolish to have two official candidates?

Don't get me wrong, the only way I will vote for either of them is if on the way to the polling station Satan himself overtakes me on iceskates. But isn't this a bit... unusual? :eek: Could it be a ploy by the Tories to confuse the electorate? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
I just got back (wild night or what, stayed out until after 10pm ;) ) and found that I have two leaflets vying for my vote.

"So what?" I hear the voices in my head cry

Well, they are BOTH representing Labour. Seriously, I appear to have two Labour party members who want to be my MP. Isn't this somewhat foolish to have two official candidates?

Don't get me wrong, the only way I will vote for either of them is if on the way to the polling station Satan himself overtakes me on iceskates. But isn't this a bit... unusual? :eek: Could it be a ploy by the Tories to confuse the electorate? :LOL:
i've seen it before at the previous election, makes no odds in the end as you can only put one X on the voting paper.

Yes, but say 60% round here vote Labour, and 40% vote Tory. But then those Labour voters were split right down the middle. Then the results would be

Tory: 40%
Labour 1: 30%
Labour 2: 30%

If my knowledge of electoral rules holds true, then that means Tories take the seat. :confused:

AdamW said:
Yes, but say 60% round here vote Labour, and 40% vote Tory. But then those Labour voters were split right down the middle. Then the results would be

Tory: 40%
Labour 1: 30%
Labour 2: 30%

If my knowledge of electoral rules holds true, then that means Tories take the seat. :confused:
I see what you are saying, point taken.

Sponsored Links
Could it be a ploy by the Tories to confuse the electorate?

So the Tories put up a fake Labour candidate and hope that half the Labour supporters vote for the wrong one? It's an interesting idea isn't it. I don't know too much about electoral rules either but I believe anybody is entitled to put themselves forward as a candidate. The ploy will fail if the local labour party get back from the pub in time to spot the deception and disown the fake candidate - and if the Labour supporters aren't still in the pub!

I wonder if it's ever really happened? Ah yes! I remember a Tory who got himself elected as a labour candidate. What was his name again? I'm sure it started with a T ---

felix said:
I'm sure it started with a T ---

T*ss-face?

Tarts' stool?

Totally manky teeth?
s_dwane.jpg

Back