confused about part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a home owner and want to rewire my own house.Can i do this and have a qualified electrican test and inspect to meet part p ?...........

Im not looking at doing any thing illegal just need to now if this is ok
Thanks..........

Sponsored Links
Tony6 said:
Im a home owner and want to rewire my own house.Can i do this and have a qualified electrican test and inspect to meet part p ?...........

Thanks..........

there is a search function on this forum. use it.

andrew2022 said:
Tony6 said:

Thanks..........

there is a search function on this forum. use it.

hmmmm, i wonder, can i suggest rule 21 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Problem is, the search facility here isn't very good.

You can't actually search for 'part p', as it ignores the 'p' and returns everything with the word 'part'.

Look:

search1.jpg

gets you

results1.jpg

Changing the search to just 'part' gets the same results, proving that the 'p' is being ignored:

search2.jpg

results2.jpg

And you can't force it to look for 'p' as well:

search3.jpg

results3.jpg

Thanks for your help ........ :D

I thought that would be the reply........

How can you give out advice and explain how to do ELECTRIC`S to diy people if you cant do the work yourself under part p??

thanks..............

Tony, have a look under some of the threads about Part P. There's loads - also on other forums. There's nothing to stop you doing the work if you're competent but there is now a regulated approval route that you're meant to go through.

b-a-s you didn't try searching for partp with no space though.

Tony6 said:

Thanks..........
Ther is a list (in Part P) of what you can/can't do if you are doing DIY work, this list details what work does not require notification. In the event that you do work that goes under this list you can ask a "competant" person to test and certify it for you.

ii) When the non-notifiable work
described in Table 1 is to be
undertaken by a DIY worker, a
way of showing compliance would
be to follow the IEE guidance or
guidance in other authoritative
manuals that are based on this,
and to have a competent person
inspect and test the work and
supply a Minor Electrical
Installation Works Certificate. The
competent person need not
necessarily be registered with an
electrical self-certification scheme
but, as required by BS 7671, must
be competent in respect of the
inspection and testing of an
installation.

I think that rewiring the house ineeds notification, as well kitchen, and bathrooms (and other special locations) there are some exceptio9ns. to find them you should read The @part P' document.
Sorry1
By the way, I'm sure that the input from our 'part P expert' could help here... :LOL:

Thanks for that......

I`ve read through some of the threads but im still confused .

I`ve read part p as saying you can do minor works ie add on an extra socket to a circuit, or change a ceiling rose your self without informing the local authority.Fine no problem

But where i lose it ,Is when it states to do major works ie install a new circuit you need to inform the local authority and be competent.

I understand informing the local authority on major works

However does the word competent mean qualified to do you own electrics in your own house? As with most trades when the government say competent they mean qualified.

i was hoping part p wizard would reply

thanks tony.....
Thanks again ............i

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back