Confused by loft insulation materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was in Q&B today looking at loft inulation rolls. They had top-up 200mm thick rolls to cover 5.5 sq m at £3 a go like this one. They also had top-up rolls of 170mm thick, covering 8 sq m at £15 like this one. The R value of the more expensive item is less too. Why would one opt for it over the cheaper one?

Whats the diff between the top-up rolls and those to act as a base layer - is it just thickness ie the base layer at 100mm brings it to the top of the joit, the top-up goes at right angles?

Sponsored Links
The cheapie rolls are usually subsidised by energy suppliers. You may see a statement on the packet saying that they are for diy-ers only and not for use in new builds or extensions.

I believe it's the energy co's way off metting their emission/CO2/whatever targets. By subsidising energy saving measures they are 'offsetting' their carbon footprint.
Or as I look at it, throwing lots of money around to avoid their responsibilities, or course the cost is just added to the punters gas n leccy bills.
Cynical? moi? :p

Government intervention may have also brought this about, to satisfy the whipcrackers at the EU, or whoever we face being 'fined' by for not meeting targets.

Sponsored Links
the big rolls at £3 are about 1200mm wide

do I believe the rolls are not much more than a metre long?

no, I think the link is wrong. The space blanket with the shiny plastic cover is not the £3 one.

this is (edit - see below)

the Knauf product has some kind of organic coating to prevent dust and loose fibres. It gives the wool a slightly slippery feel. Does the Npower stuff have something like that?

I havent noticed anything like that but it doesnt make a real mess when being cut anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back