Confused on two way switching - missing wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Recently had ceilings plastered and decorated....thus ceiling roses have been disconnected. Also, during the same works I moved the upstairs light switch and ran new cables, before re-plastering.

Now I'm trying to connect hallway lighting back together and I cant to the life of me remember how it was, it doesn't appear to match any of the 2 wire, or 3 wire diagrams online.

Downstairs switch currently has a twin and earth, plus a single red cable.

Upstairs I have the new switch (with 3 cores & earth chased up into the ceiling).

In the ceiling I have a twin and earth, plus a single BLACK cable. No ceiling rose, just a hole in the ceiling.

I am confused as to why the single cable appears to change colour? It appears to run down the wall towards where the downstairs switch is when I trace it back in the loft.

Could someone help advice where each wire should go? It almost doesnt feel like I've got enough wires - its not at all like the "loop-in" in all the other rooms. House was built around yr 2000 so not massively old, but old wiring colours.

Many thanks in advance,

William

Sponsored Links
Yep. I work with automotive diagnostics and electronics all day but I'm a bit lost with household stuff!

Use your meter to work out which wire is connected to what.

Sponsored Links
The single red downstairs is your live feed in COM. The strappers from L1 and L2 are contained inside the T+E. The single black upstairs is the neutral. The T+E is the other end of your strappers. You need to join the T+E to your 3 core, using the third core to return the COM from the upstairs switch. Use a joint box to the 3C+E, the existing T+E and a new short length of T+E to the pendant. BEWARE. If you have a different lighting circuit upstairs to downstairs, there is a good chance the neutral is borrowed.

Googled image:

Stair-case-wiring-circuit-diagram-252C-OR-How-to-control-a-lamp-from-two-places-by-two-2-way-switches.jpg

2-way-powered-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram.jpg

When you moved the switch, how may and what type of wires were there feeding it and did they go up into the ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back