Confused wire colours switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to change old plastic light switch to new one with L1, L2 and L for wires I assumed the red was live and went in L and black went to L1 but the small strip of red aroud the black has me confused. So need a bit of help

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_105841.jpg
    IMG_20210402_105841.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Great! Worked that out. Now the earth cable is about 20mm too short to connect and no slack. Al I can think is a small wire connnector inside the box and add the 20mm ! It is a 38mm metal back box for a single light switch so what size earth wire do I need ? I see 1.5mm 2.5 mm advertised but have no idea what that means or what I need. I dont want to buy metres of it so I assume ebay is probably the best for a few centemetres

There will be a Terminal in the metal box you can use rather than a connecter, then link from that to the switch, any green and Yellow cable will do really 0.75, 1 or 1.5, maybe cut a bit of an old broken appliance thats knocking about.

There will be a Terminal in the metal box you can use rather than a connecter, then link from that to the switch, any green and Yellow cable will do really 0.75, 1 or 1.5, maybe cut a bit of an old broken appliance thats knocking about.

I am just trying to work this out It seems too easy ! I find some old green and yellow cable, which I have, and I just cut it and link it from the terminal (the screw clamp for a cable in the corner of the metal box to the metal screw terminal on the edge of the plastic switch and thats it ? Problem solved, I can have the light back on in less than a hour ? Thats great Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back