Confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have spent quite awhile reading the permitted development info to understand where I would need planning permission but have ended more confused than I began. We currently have a side extension completed in 1980 which has planning permission. The extension isn't more than half the width of the house but does extend by more than 4 metres from the back of the house (as the house has a stepped rear). We will would like to add an extra 2metres to the width of it. This extra extension would start from the rear wall of the original house and so wouldn't extend by more than 4metres and still wouldn't lead the whole extension to be too wide compared to the original house, but would join the original extension. Does that mean that I can do the new extension by PD or because it t is joined to one that wouldn't be allowed under PD this wouldn't be either?

I hope that makes sense. As I said I'm confused. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Just about everybody gets confused by the p.d. rules, and the official guidance often isn't much help either.

A little difficult to tell from your description, but you will need to consider the whole extension (ie 1980 one plus yours) and check that against the p.d. rules.

A sketch plan here would elicit more replies.

Possibly, at the moment. The essential point is, if you build an extension by exercising your PD rights, such that it connects to another extension of the house, then the whole extended part of the house (the old plus the new) must fall within PD limits. Your existing plus new extension is not more than half the width so that's ok. Thanks to the neighbour consultation scheme your distance from the back of the house is doubled so the old extension needs to be less than 6 or 8 metres (but equally i can see a bizarre situation where you may need to neighbour consult just so you can build an extension that is normal PD otherwise). You need to check other things like single storey, not more than 50% curtilage etc..

Hi thanks for the replies I have attached a plan. So in essence the fact that we are joining an extension which has planning permission , but now wouldn't be able to be built with just pd, means that if we want to join to it we would need planning permission again, even if the new extension if it was on its own could be done under pd.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back