connect boiler and nest heatlink from the same switched fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is currently powered by a switched fused spur. The spur is located 40cm underneath the boiler.
I haven't checked but it is probably a 3A fuse.
My boiler is an Ideal Logic combi ESP1 35 : https://idealheating.com/uploads/documents/logic-combi-esp1-installation-and-servicing.pdf

I would like to add a Nest thermostat using the opentherm wiring as described here page 24: https://nest.com/support/images/mis...Nest-Learning-Thermostat-Install-Guide-UK.pdf

The wiring is relatively easy, I just need 230V AC N + L to power the device and then 2 low voltage wires to the Opentherm on the boiler.

My question is, where do I get the the 230V AC N + L from ? the easiest way and following the regulation.

Can I get it from the current switched fused spur that powers the boiler ?
if yes, shall I connect the nest heatlink N+L directly from the switched fused spur (load side)

or

shall I connect the nest heatlink N+L directly from the boiler on the MAIN input?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if yes, shall I connect the nest heatlink N+L directly from the switched fused spur (load side)
Yes, the Load side.
...and if you are planning on powering the thermostat from the 12V supply from the Heatlink, you will also need an earth connection from the fused spur.

Thanks for tour reply. So it is allowed to have those 2 devices powered by the same switched fused spur from a electricity/building regulation perspective?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for tour reply. So it is allowed to have those 2 devices powered by the same switched fused spur from a electricity/building regulation perspective?
Yes, it could be considered a safer way of connecting the Nest.
Having a single point of isolation for both, could avoid incidents when a faulty appliance may inject mains into another that is otherwise isolated.

This is of course assuming that you can safely take another cable out of the FCU, using appropriate strain relief etc.

...and there's the issue that @muggles refers to.

Yes, this is what is being shown in the Nest manual (I connected all my 3 Nest Thermostat to the spurs feeding the boiler)

1663625379632.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back