Connect External Flood To Honeywell Wired Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could someone please help me with something.
I need to connect an external flood / security light to a Honeywell wired intruder alarm system. I need the alarm to turn the flood on when the alarm is triggered. I have run a 230v feed to it & an alarm cable to it.
Do I need to get any other stuff to get this to work ?? I cant work out how the light will be triggered (230 OR LOW VOLTAGE)

Thanks in advance for any help

Graham

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Could someone please help me with something.
I need to connect an external flood / security light to a Honeywell wired intruder alarm system. I need the alarm to turn the flood on when the alarm is triggered. I have run a 230v feed to it & an alarm cable to it.
Do I need to get any other stuff to get this to work ?? I cant work out how the light will be triggered (230 OR LOW VOLTAGE)

Thanks in advance for any help

Graham

you will need a 240V relay - do not connect the light direct to the panel.

240v relay, in simple terms, a relay that has a 12vDC coil (for the signal from your alarm) & Common, Normally Open & Normally Closed change over contacts rated for 240vAC.

Quite often the 12v coil will be wired to the 12v Pos(+) & the 12v Neg (-) signal that goes to your external sounder.

The light's Pos (+) 240v side would be wired through the C & N/O side of the relay.

Alarm triggers, 12v is sent to relay, the contacts C & N/O change over to C & N/C sending the 240v (+) to light the light - will go on/off with the sounder

It would also be possible to connect a timer between the panel output & the relay coil to switch off sooner if required, don't forget you could also wire a 'switch' to operate the light whenever needed, this could be done at the control panel.

Basic instructions here but it should give you a better idea of what is required.

Maplin should have all you would need, have fun.

ps

Don't forget 240vAC can be / is dangerous, if you don't know how to do this, get someone in.

Thanks for the great advice, it really helped!!!
I am a qualified sparks so can handle the 230 v side, just needed the info to do this bit of the alarm.

Thanks again

Graham

Sponsored Links
Quite often the 12v coil will be wired to the 12v Pos(+) & the 12v Neg (-) signal that goes to your external sounder.

It would be advisable to fit a diode across the coil to suppress the voltage spike from the coil when the relay is de-energised. Alarm panels are not always designed to drive inductive loads and may not have the components necessary to cope with an inductive ( coil ) load.

Use a diode type 1N4001 or similar from Maplins with the Anode ( the end marked with a band ) to the positive Pos(+) and cathode to negative Neg(-)

Maplins is not the only source of diodes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back