Connect waste pipe to sink pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a washing machine which is mostly connected except that the waste pipe doesn't reach the under-sink drainage pipe. The shortfall is about 1 foot, more if I allow some slack; the diameter of the w m/c waste pipe is 1 inch and of the sink pipe 2 inches. I want to save myself £50 to a plumber, how can I connect this myself?

I presume the answer is some sort of connecting pipe, what kind would it be, where would I get it and what do I need to know about the connecting process? The w m/c waste pipe (corrugated type - spigot?) just ends bluntly, with no valve of any kind.

Sponsored Links
i would leave the spiggot alone they tend to block with lint over time, i would always suggest a stand pipe going directly to waste, have a look in local "shed" for parts

Hi, thanks for reply. I've read a few threads on here where someone gives that advice. Suppose I went for the standpipe: I presume that is a vertical pipe that goes straight down into the general waste out of the property, like where the sink pipe goes but separate from it? I've had a look at that and it disappears into a space between two fitted cupboards and I assume goes down underground and out of the building. This is a rented property so there's only so much fiddling I can do without the landlord's permission, and besides this would cost a lot more than getting a plumber out and would definitely be something I wouldn't want to DIY.

So... lint or no lint I'll just have to connect to the sink pipe, I think. Maybe a hardware store will have some useful kind of pipe that'll do the job. BTW what do you mean by "local shed"? DIY store like B&Q? I'll admit it, I'm a complete DIY novice! :oops:

The w m/c is annoying because the waste pipe is not detachable and runs from the bottom right of the back of the m/c up left, thru a hole in the cupboard to try to reach the sink pipe. If it was starting from top left, or the hole was lower, there'd be no problem.

Sponsored Links
If it was starting from top left, or the hole was lower, there'd be no problem

drill a new hole?

i connected my dishwasher waste through the little "sticky-out" bit just under the kitchen sink (before the u-bend). Had to buy a flexible pipe extension for it though, but it sure was easier than running new 2 inch waste pipe round the units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back