connecting a generator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a little 2T generator (3 pin outlet) because it seemed too cheap not to!
To use for the house in case of a power cut - how/where should it be connected?
Thanks for advice,
Rod :LOL:

Edited for crap spelling

Sponsored Links
The generator needs to be connected before you Consumer unit and via a proper geny changer-over switch which will need to be wired into your meter tails. I'm not sure what the kVA/kW rating is of the geny but you may need to turn off some non essential circuits/appliances before you connect and start it up

On a saftey note, make sure the change over swicth has a plug and your lead between the geny and the change over switch has the socket otherwise you could have live pins in your hand. :eek:

Has the geny got an RCD on the oputput?

Connecting a generator to the house circuits (properly) is quite a job. It is notifiable (I think its covered by the Electricity Act but haven't looked at it in years) Apart from a changeover switch it ought to be inspected as the electricity supplier will be anxious that your current doesn't travel down their lines (e.g. and electrocute their jointer who is trying to repair a cable).

It would be simpler, though less convenient, to run it to a couple of socket outlets or lamps independent of the mains supply. I can see this is not very convenient :cry: and you probably are particularly keen on keeping the CH going.

Thinking of doing the same thing pensdown. Do the leccy board own that piece (where does my ownership start ?) and therefore do they have to install the change over switch. If so, I guess its going to be expensive !
Apologies for jumping onboard your thread sadgrandad, but I'm assuming this is relevant to you too.

Sponsored Links
Hey pens, this has been covered on here previously and I would suspect Sadgrandad has been seduced by the idea of preventing power cuts. Sadly these gennys are usually low output jobs and the saving made by the low price will more than be made up for by the need for a change over switch and some areas will require earth spike etc.

bathjobby said:
Thinking of doing the same thing pensdown. Do the leccy board own that piece (where does my ownership start ?) and therefore do they have to install the change over switch. If so, I guess its going to be expensive !
Apologies for jumping onboard your thread sadgrandad, but I'm assuming this is relevant to you too.

John & Qedelec have given you good advise, unless the geny is sized to support the whole house, around 25kW+ for a 100amp supply and around 15kW+ for a 63amp supply then your wasting your time and money fitting a change over switch.

Why not just throw a party in a field, and invite all of us :p

Look on the bright side, it may not run your house, but in summer you can run some lights and the TV off an extension cable, and in winter, if you can put a plug on the central heating supply, you can run your gas/oil boiler and keep the house warm.

If I were you. I'd keep the petrol well away from the house, especially when you're pouring out of a jerry can and spilling it over a hot exhaust :evil:

this stuff is part P notifiable, whether you go through with said notification or not is not my concern.

basically you DON'T wan't to feed the whole house, what you should do is set up a second CU fed off the changeover switch. the switch should be fed from the generator and a breaker in the main CU. then the second CU should be wired to the stuff you wan't on generator power.

most portable generators have a floating output. this is a bad thing when connecting to an install so if the output is floating (should be easy to determine with a multimeter) you should link neutral and earth in the plug used to connect to the generator.

finally you should add an earth rod to your install as you shouldn't really rely on the grid earth when you aren't running off the grid.]

450KVA generator - share it with your neighbours ;) :LOL:
silentmaster.jpeg

http://www.energysystems.co.uk/generators.asp?YsID=14

Not read up too much on the ins and outs of different generator sizes, but in the static generators we use for an alternative source we operate the following.

Two mccbs merlin gerin or the like are both mechanically and electrically interlocked. When the switch is down for the mains side a solid bar locks the genny mccb off and there is an auxilliary for each no volt coil to electrically interlock the main switches to stop mains polluting .

The generator star point should be earthed at less than 20 ohms. A ground resistance tester is required. I am talking about static generators here but i think if you are using small sets for more than a day these rules apply, hope this is of some use.

My mistake, it is diesel not 2T.

1016kva_Cummins2.jpg

:LOL: It's actually like this, but in some kind of closed cabinet. It's not pull start though, it has a wheel with a hundred hamsters in which just run round to rotate the crankshaft - you do have to use a valve lifter otherwise they'd never manage to turn it over.

Following your helpful advice I've got a UPS too
hotrod_71s.jpg

Thanks for all your help :rolleyes:

sadgrandad said:
Thanks for all your help :rolleyes:
Before the fun started, pensdown, johnd and qedelec gave you sound and helpful advice, to which no more can usefully be added..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back