connecting a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to put a spur into a conservatory, can I take a spur off the downstair ring? If this is ok can I use a junction box and is there any order that the terminals should be( ELN or LEN) ? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I would like to put a spur into a conservatory, can I take a spur off the downstair ring?.

Possibly/maybe/who knows? All depends on what you intend to connect to this new spur, and what condition the existing circuit is in.

A junction box could be used, provided it is going to be accessible. (Hiding it under the floor or in the wall is not permitted)

As for the terminals - what exactly are you asking? In any circuit, L will connect to L, N to N, E to E.

Thanks for the quickest reply I have got. THe extension is only to power a tv and a lamp, so not a lot of power required. I always manage to cause confusion with my posts, What I was trying to ask was, in the junction box there are three terminals(connectors) should the earth be in the middle post between the L and N ? Or does it make any difference? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can have one double socket.

If you want more than that, you will have to connect them via a 13A FCU - but this will obviously limit the loading on the sockets to 13A maximum.

Terminals - it makes no difference which one is L/N/E, they are all the same.

If possible, don't bother with a junction box at all, just connect the cable into the back of one of the existing sockets.

I had intended to cut into the ring circuit under the floorboards, but if I cannot use a junction box under the floor is there another way to join the ring apart from joining at an existing socket?
thanks

if you're cutting the ring then use 2 JB's and incorporate the new sockets into the ring..

JB's should not be under floorboards.. unless you make an access hatch and don't carpet over it ;)

best way is to replace the cable you are going to be cutting between the sockets and incorporate the new sockets into the ring..

And if the circuit isn't already RCD protected then to comply with the Wiring Regulations you'll need to add it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back