Connecting cast iron (?) high level flush pipe to cemented in toilet pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have an old (1930s?) WC with a high level cistern connected to a metal (cast iron?) flush pipe. The pipe goes down the wall (bolted into place) and then turns 90 degrees just behind the toilet pan and connects to the pan horizontally. The connector is very old and disintegrating, this has been "fixed" by others over many years with layers and layers of heavy insulating tape :giggle:. Unsurprisingly, there is a small leak at the join with minor dripping, which I assume (?) is from a small pool of water that remains inside the pipe just after the 90 degree elbow.

The toilet pan is cemented into a solid floor at the waste pipe, and the flush pipe hardly moves more than a few mm, so there doesn't seem to be enough play to separate the two enough to introduce a normal circular flush pipe connector between them. I guess I could buy one, cut through at the top, then slide it on and tape around it with something so at least there is a seal at the bottom of the elbow. The join is largely hidden underneath the rear of a very old style wooden toilet seat, so visually there won't be a problem. Also the WC is on the ground floor on tiles so if the solution fails and it does start dripping again it is not the end of world. Any other suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Take out as much of the current filler around the flush pipe into the pan casting. Clean out as much as possible and then dry really well with a hairdryer. Then use a wet grab silicone adehsive ( not sealant) like erm .... wet grab. Wear rubber gloves and use your fingers to make sure it is well filled in without any air pockets then use an oiled scraper/spatula to finish it and fillet it

Leave to set for 24hrs, it will set like a firm rubber.

Many thanks. I should add I have removed more gubbins around the connection, and it looks like the (imperfect) underlying connection between the flush pipe and the toilet pan is made out of lead.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah so the old lead plug is still there, in effect a flush pipe cone before plastic/rubber was used. Ideally as much of that would be cut/dug out to leave as much space around the flush pipe inside the pan casting as possible so it can then be filled up. Go carefully though given it's old china.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back